Bittering Hops Confusion...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradneal

Reaction score
Ok, I purchased 2 Brewer's Best Classic English Pale Ale kits last November, but am just now getting around to making the second kit.

So... I got everything together and before I started, I noticed that the Bittering Hops were missing. So I went back to my HBS and explained about the missing Hops, and being the good guy that he is, he opened a new box, handed me the bittering hops, and away I went. But when I got home I noticed that the directions called for 1oz of Perle Bittering Hops, but the new kit that my HBS replaced my missing one from contained 2oz's of Kent Bittering Hops.

So being a newb at beer making, I'm not sure what to do next. Can anyone tell me if they have substituted the 1oz Perle with the 2oz Kent? And if so, will that change the profile of the brew?

Thanks,
Brad

Edit:
And just for the record, the 1oz Perle Bittering Hops indicate an Alpha Acid of 7.6%, and the 2oz Kent indicates an Alpha Acid of 4.9%. Would that possibly explain the 2oz packet in place the 1oz?

Im not sure about the substitution but look for the AA so if your perle has 8 AA for an oz and you sub in 2 oz at 4AA then the IBU are the same but the flavor between the 2 hops might be different so hopefully somebody else can chime in.

Yes and just a little.

Bittering hops don't add much to a beer flavor wise. Much if not all of the flavor and aroma of the hop gets scrubbed out during the boil. Unless you know the AA of the new hop all you can do is trust the IBU's match and brew on.

Wow! You guys are fast... See my edit above regarding AA.

I think I have my answer. Thanks much for the quick response.

-Brad

Back