Bittering hop type

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdbrew1024

Reaction score
I'm making an IPA in the next couple of days. I have small amounts of several different high AA hop varieties. I'm wondering how much the final flavors are affected by the bittering hop addition(s). Instead of buying more hops I was thinking of just dumping in small amounts of whatever I have leftover from other batches. Is there a large flavor contribution from hops added at this stage?

Very little to no flavor from hops added at 60min. I used a super small amount of Magnum to bitter my ESB and I couldnt even taste it.

There are several bittering components and each hop has different ratios. This changes the bittering profile, but the flavor oils are more or less boiled off. In my experience, using small amounts of multiple bittering hops makes for a very smooth profile.

There are a few hops types that I find do contribute to the final flavour if used as bittering hops (I've definitely noticed this with Pacific Gem, and I've heard Sorachi Ace is similar.)

But with the large majority of high alpha hops used for bittering I never noticed much change in the flavour or aroma of the beer.

I'd just use whatever you have on hand for bittering.

Alpha shouldn't be your only priority. I like IPAs but not ones you are still tasting the next day. Cohumulone is what gives hops there legs. The higher the cohumulone percent the longer the bittering sensation will last. IMHO the better IPAs are bitter up front and tone down towards the back so you can taste all those wonderful flavor additions.

Back