Bittering addition for bohemian Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshesmusica

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am wanting to make a pretty traditional bo pils, but still want it to not be overly expensive. It's my first attempt at a lager, so I'm buying enough yeast to pitch the proper amount. So then if I wanted to have only saaz hops in there, I would basically have to buy another 100g pack. Is anybody using a high AA for the bittering charge? It would basically be a 70 gram difference between the warrior that I have, and the 2.7% saaz they have at the LHBS!

Is it still gonna taste just the same?

What AA is the Warrior?

I just used 10g of Polaris at 60 mins for a 1.050 OG (20 AA) for a German Pilsner. Samples taste a little bitter but I expect it to mellow with lagering.

I've been researching a Munich Helles, and multiple recipes suggest using a small amount of Warrior or Magnum instead of a noble hop to prevent "grassiness". I suspect if you properly measure that hop addition it will be fine.

I am not sure I will do this when I brew it. I am considering one of the high alphas I have. If so it will be a fraction of an ounce addition.

Here is one example: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/Edel_Hell

IME, bittering is bittering. Unless you are using something liek Chinook which is notorious for having high cohumelone %, which reportedly makes for a harsher bitterness, just line up the IBUs for what you want to use. Keep a lot of magnum on hand for bittering cause its cheap and has a nice smooth bitterness. I wouldn't try to bitter with saaz, seems like a waste.

The only reason boho pils were traditionally bittered with saaz is cause they didnt know any better or have access to good bittering hops (100% guess)

IME, bittering is bittering. Unless you are using something liek Chinook which is notorious for having high cohumelone %, which reportedly makes for a harsher bitterness, just line up the IBUs for what you want to use. Keep a lot of magnum on hand for bittering cause its cheap and has a nice smooth bitterness. I wouldn't try to bitter with saaz, seems like a waste.

The only reason boho pils were traditionally bittered with saaz is cause they didnt know any better or have access to good bittering hops (100% guess)

Yeah that's pretty much my train of thought. But I am still curious to see an experiment, or maybe take the time to do it myself at some point, to see just how different a beer with only bittering additions would taste with using different hops for that.

Different hops used inly for bittering SHOULD end up being pretty much the same shouldn't they? All aroma is boiled off and only the buyer mess is left.

Back