Bitter taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roryoconnor

Reaction score
Hi so I just brewed a all grain batch of stout. When I tasted the wort it had a bitter taste on the back of my tongue. I mashed at 155 to 156 which was a little higher than the recommend 154. I have a keggle mash tun so when doing ten gallon batches I leave it on the shut off burner because I can no longer lift it off. Also I added too much dark malt by an ounce or so for a ten gallon batch. So either one of these could of caused me some problems with the bitter taste. Does anyone have some insight as to why I got the bitter taste? It is fermenting now and I am considering dry hopping to cover up the bitter taste if it is still present after it ferments. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hmm... how did you sparge it? Too-hot (or too much) sparge water might pull out polyphenols/tannins from your malt. Was this the hopped wort or the sweet wort that tasted off? And do you think that this might be something that will age out?

*disclaimer: I'm fairly new to this too, so other people should reply here.

Bitter taste in back of tongue before and after hops. Sparge water was 167. This is my first strong stout I have brewed. Brew mostly IPAs and have never tasted this type of bitterness. Hoping it will age out but am not confident.

Hi so I just brewed a all grain batch of stout. When I tasted the wort it had a bitter taste on the back of my tongue. I mashed at 155 to 156 which was a little higher than the recommend 154. I have a keggle mash tun so when doing ten gallon batches I leave it on the shut off burner because I can no longer lift it off. Also I added too much dark malt by an ounce or so for a ten gallon batch. So either one of these could of caused me some problems with the bitter taste. Does anyone have some insight as to why I got the bitter taste? It is fermenting now and I am considering dry hopping to cover up the bitter taste if it is still present after it ferments. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I don't think mashing at 156 would give you any bitterness, and one extra ounce of dark malt in a 10G batch shouldn't have ruined it either. Have you brewed this recipe before and know that the taste of the wort is abnormal?

In my humble and not very experienced opinion, i'd say that you should just leave it alone. If you're really concerned, taste your gravity sample in a few weeks once fermentation is done. If you still don't like it, leave it alone for another month and see if it ages out.

From that point, either leave it alone more, or if you keg, keg it up, carb, cold condition (i.e. leave it alone) and sample. If you bottle, i'd just wait more.

All of my beer has changed pretty substantially in 30-60 days after brew day. Hop aroma and bitterness fade some, but for beers that are not that hoppy they just get better. If you start dry-hopping, or adding anything now, you are more likely to make it worse than make it better, IMHO.

Bottom line: I'd say your best bet is to just wait it out. You can always dry hop or add something later if you want, but you can't take it back.

I agree with letting it take it's course and seeing what happens over a few months.

Recent experience: I brewed a batch of Pale Ale for a wedding (my wedding, no less). When I bottled it, I was very worried--didn't like the taste at all, barely noticeable hops, etc. I really thought I had screwed something up. It sat bottled for around three weeks before the wedding (last Saturday). I was prepared to buy some beer rather than serve subpar homebrew at my wedding.

A couple of days before, I opened a bottle and I was floored. The flavor was clean and crisp and the citra & chinook hops really stood out. At the party everyone raved about it (even the BMC crowd) and it was gone in no time. Three weeks in the bottle totally transformed the beer.

So let it sit for awhile.

You are possibly getting some of the acrid, burnt notes from the roasted barley or some of the other dark grains. Those flavors meld and mellow over time, but contribute to the overall stout flavor we all love. This being your first stout, you've probably never encountered those flavors in the brew pot before. I've never found unfermented wort to give me a very accurate idea of what the finished beer will taste like, I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure it will be great when its finished!

Back