Bitter Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mortal888

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a few years and have always had a glass right out of the fermenter and it's always awesome. This time my Porter tastes extremely bitter. Will this mellow out and if so, how long? I'm certain I didn't burn it. It was a cheap anniversary sale recipe from AHS if that matters.

Been worried about my water quality lately too.

Not sure if I can help, but it certainly helps to post your recipe and what you did.

And I get an occasional no reply too.

Meh, they took it down off the website and I tossed it.

Oh well. Just have to give it some time then.

Hops will mellow with time. It kind of varies based on how much was there in the first place, but you're probably looking at a few months.

That being said, if you're sampling directly from the fermenter, don't expect the bottled/kegged finished product to taste the same. Carbonation can change the character of a beer, so don't give up on it just yet.

I'm still curious what you brewed and why it may have been bitter.

I still don't have an answer of what I brewed but time made it an awesome brew. Was just strange for me that it was bad right out of the fermenter when all other beers I've brewed were good as a flat beer before carbonation.

The porter could have been on the heavy side with roasted malts. This could account for some of the bitterness. Might be really good with 2 to 3 months of bottle conditioning.

I've noticed that more complex and roasty beers aren't as good or change when I've given them my 4/4/1 routine (weeks). They just usually take longer to meld into what they will.

Good to hear it's no longer bitter.

Back