Best bitter, strong bitter - Maris (Warminster) v. Golden Promise (Simpson's)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gadjobrinus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The LHBS where I work carries MO (Munton's, through Briess - still trying to figure out the distribution setup on this, as this new to me after a long hiatus), but I prefer to work with Warminster MO for British bitters. OTOH, they also carry Simpson's Golden Promise. Never worked with GP, though it's always intrigued me from my memory of tasting Timothy Taylor and my early but aborted attempts to run ersatz open fermentations like they do in Yorkshire (i.e., with spraying fan for rousing during early fermentation).

Can you tell me some properties of Golden you like/dislike? Especially with respect to British bitters in the northern style?

Simpsons GP is one of the three base malts I use (along with Weyermann Pilsner and Briess "Brewers Malt"). I like GP for its sweetness with a modest bready character and a light color that together plays great in hazies. I can't think of anything about it I don't like (and I'd say the same for the other two malts)...

Cheers!

I'm about to finish a sack of GP. A good number of simple bitters made from it. Low 1040s, ~35IBUs, 5% crystal, 10% invert. Just started drinking a batch of strong bitter. 1060, 50IBU, 5% crystal. A strong Scotch, 1070, 35IBU, 2% black. Very happy with it all. More subtle than MO, but still very much a full flavored base.

Back