Bitter grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sculpin

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Canada and I'm using a base malt called Praire Malt.
I like to chew on the grains and see how they taste.
Most of them taste good but there are some, I would say 1% or so, that taste bitter, really bitter. Not only they taste bitter but their color is different, brown-reddish.
I was wondering if this is normal or if it is a low quality malt.
I'm new to all grain and this is the only malt I've used so I can't compare.
Thanks.

Sounds like a low-quality malt. All of the base malts I've used, some from big producers like Rahr and small, local maltsters, have been uniform in color, taste, and texture.

Every once in a while you may get an odd kernel, but if there are enough that you notice, there are probably too many.

Was it a full sack of malt?

If so the grain I get here in Barrie often has a few dark grains, no real effect on the taste as far as I can tell.

I just assume these are over cooked?? grains, sort of like crystal or toasted malt.

Yes, it was a 25kg bag.

Probably they won't affect the taste of the beer because the wort tasted good after boil.

I was just curious if there are more experienced brewers here that use or have used the Prairie Malt and what do they think about it.

To me the bitter ones look unhealthy, maybe something during the malting process or before in the field, I don't know.

My LHBS only sales Prarie Malt and Gambrinus but he doesn't have Gambrinus currently.

Anyways Gambrinus and Prairie Malt they are both owned by acompany named Cargill.

Back