Bitter beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrb865

Reaction score
I recently brewed a blood orange saison extract kit from brewers best, followed instructions to the T, after bottling and sitting for a couple of weeks I tried one, it has an offputting after taste, almost like a tart bitterness. Any one know what could have gone wrong?

Sometimes a couple weeks isn't enough for the flavors to mature. It might take a month or three for the beer to hit its stride. Give it another month.
Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes a couple weeks isn't enough for the flavors to mature. It might take a month or three for the beer to hit its stride. Give it another month.
Welcome to the forum.
Probably the case. I tend to have better results opening a bottle after 2 weeks of conditioning if (1) the beer sat in the primary for 4 weeks, and (2) a bottle sat in the fridge for 3 days or more.

I've also had a flavor like you are describing, and to me, it's damn near orange juice-like. It seems to get better with time, but it also might be a temperature issue when fermenting. High temps, fluctuation, etc.

I have found most of my ales and ciders are better (or even much better) after 2-3 months in the bottle. Bitterness, in particular, seems to fade while other tastes come to the forefront.

Latest posts

Back