Birthday Buys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgolanos

Reaction score
My birthday's coming up in the next few days, SWMBO and her father have decided to pitch in some money to upgrade my brewing equipment or buy some (small) new toys. The trouble is, I don't know what to get. I've been considering a mini-keg system for a bit now, but I'm not 100% sold on it:

https://www.ikegger.com/pages/complete-keg-brew-packages

I'm also thinking of getting an infrared thermometer for more accurate temp readings during my mash:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/stanley-infrared-thermometer_p5660713

Other things I have include:
Cool Brew Bag
x3 30L fermenter buckets
x1 10L fermenter bucket
x2 23L plastic carboys
x1 5L demijohn
x1 bottle tree & washer (wine aerator)
2-roller grain mill
High pressure burner
40L stock pot
20L stock pot
standard liquid thermometer

I could use some other ideas, though. Total spend can be in the $400-500 range. What do you all suggest?

While I love my infrared thermometer I have never used it for mash temps. I do use it to monitor fermentation temperature as I can stand clear across the room and get the reading. Since they are only $10 to $20, why not have one. I use mine for lots of other things too.

A dedicated fermentation chamber would be nice to have it you have room for it. With the right controller you just set it and forget it.

I started off with an infrared thermo for mash temps and found it infuriating as the bubbles on the top of the mash give you much lower readings so it requires a bit of a stir. You can get a meat probe thermo for about the same price however

+1 on a fermentation chamber. I've been using a 7ish cf chest freezer for about six months now, what a game changer all around...it's easier and better beer. The big question is, do you have room for it?

As far as smaller gadgets go, I didn't see a wort chiller in your list of equipment. If you don't have one, you ought to. I'd recommend a good immersion chiller like the Jared Hydra. Just my 2¢

Couple more thoughts --
  • Hydrometer - Definitely get this now if you don't already have one.
  • Digital thermometer - Quicker and easier to read than liquid. A decent one doesn't have to break the bank.
  • Digital scale - For measuring hops and priming sugar.
  • Bottling bucket with spigot, and spring loaded bottling wand - Makes bottling so much easier (but still no fun!)
  • Auto Siphon - For moving wort from fermenter to bottling bucket.
  • Refractometer - For quick on-the-fly gravity readings while brewing/boiling.
And maybe a dedicated brewing kettle with ball valve? Having a valve makes it much easier to move the wort to your fermenter. Bayou Classic has a 10 gallon that works great.

This before anything else:

1. Fermentation chamber. I've attached a pic below showing mine (one large, one small). It's almost a given that, when asked what made the greatest improvement in their homebrew, experienced brewers will say "Fermentation temperature control."

The small refrigerator in the pic is a 4.4 cu ft dormstyle refrigerator. You can find them on Craigslist here and there for in the $50-60 range. A larger refrigerator will allow for two fermenters. If you do this, take along a fermenter to ensure it will fit, or that you can remove plastic door molding to allow it to do so.

Cost? Varies.

1a. Inkbird 308 temp controller. Allows you to control both cooling and heating in a ferm chamber. I have 5 of them. About $35, though the Inkbird sponsor on this forum regularly runs 20-percent off deals on Amazon, so it ends up being $30.

1b. You'd also want some sort of heat source for your fermenters. I've used both reptile heat mats and fermwraps on mine, both are fine though the fermwrap has more capacity (40 watts versus 21 for the reptile mat). Cost is from $16-30.

2. Jaded Hydra immersion chiller. When the groundwater is cold, I can take a 5.5 gallon kettle of boiling wort from boiling to 70 degrees in 4 minutes.

It's a beast. About $175 with shipping. Yeah, it's worth it.

3. Thermoworks Mk IV Thermopen. Very fast response, display rotates--I use this for mash temps, getting pH samples down to room temp, checking boiled water that's cooled for a dry yeast rehydration. They have a new one which also includes IR, but it's new and until it's shown to be excellent...

IR sounds like a great way to check a mash, but you're only checking at that point--plus IR is not always accurate depending on surface reflectivity.

About $99 for a Thermopen MkIV, but you can get them with a 20-percent off deal from time to time.

4. FastRack bottle storage/draining system. It's how I store my bottles after cleaning. They can drain down into the tray, no problem. It takes up far less room than a bottle tree, and one thing I really like about it is I can put an entire rack of 24 bottles in the freezer to cool them down prior to bottling. About $35

5. pH meter. CHeck the pH in the mash. Also significant in the quality of the resulting beer. I use the Milwaukee MW102. About $130. Also pricey, but it will move you out of the guessing mode to the knowing mode.

Your $400-500 budget is enough to move you into another realm of brewing. If you can, see if you can supplement it with some of your own cash as well. If you don't have fermentation temp control, that should be first on your list. The Hydra is a want, not a need necessarily, but impressive. I'd say the Thermopen is a need; fast and accurate temp monitoring is important. The Fastrack is a want; the pH meter is a need, IMO, since you're doing all-grain.

Other things like a finish hydrometer, digital scale (which you'll want if you're modifying water to pH), a refractometer--these are all worth getting before the big things if you don't already have them.

Good luck!

While I love my infrared thermometer I have never used it for mash temps. I do use it to monitor fermentation temperature as I can stand clear across the room and get the reading. Since they are only $10 to $20, why not have one. I use mine for lots of other things too.

I started off with an infrared thermo for mash temps and found it infuriating as the bubbles on the top of the mash give you much lower readings so it requires a bit of a stir. You can get a meat probe thermo for about the same price however

3. Thermoworks Mk IV Thermopen. Very fast response, display rotates--I use this for mash temps, getting pH samples down to room temp, checking boiled water that's cooled for a dry yeast rehydration. They have a new one which also includes IR, but it's new and until it's shown to be excellent...

IR sounds like a great way to check a mash, but you're only checking at that point--plus IR is not always accurate depending on surface reflectivity.

About $99 for a Thermopen MkIV, but you can get them with a 20-percent off deal from time to time.

Thanks for pointing these out to me. I would have never thought about the difference in temps or surface reflectivity, so you boys may have just saved me $60-70. I wish I could get a good one for $20 in Oz.

I forgot about the Thermopen, actually. I looked for one a while ago, but I couldn't justify the cost. I'll have to look again. Constant, accurate mash temps have been one of my areas of weakness, so I'm eager to get that solved.

mongoose33]Your $400-500 budget is enough to move you into another realm of brewing. If you can said:
A dedicated fermentation chamber would be nice to have it you have room for it. With the right controller you just set it and forget it.

Totally agree with you and everyone who said that a ferm chamber would be perfect. Unfortunately, I don't have the room for one right now. My father-in-law talks about remodelling the kitchen, so if that ever becomes reality, I'll put that in the kitchen plans. My Cool Bag seems to fit my needs for the moment, especially in Winter.

And maybe a dedicated brewing kettle with ball valve? Having a valve makes it much easier to move the wort to your fermenter. Bayou Classic has a 10 gallon that works great.

I looked at a few brew kettles last night, actually. I really liked a few 36L and 50L ones I saw. I have a 40L aluminum pot I use now, but it doesn't have a ball valve. This might be a winner...

Thanks again, all, for your pointers.

I apologize for not noticing your location. Easy to specify stuff available here in the US. There is a homebrew outfit south of Sidney that has pretty decent offerings, including Blichmann items.

https://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/temperature-control

That's where I originally bought my Brewtan-B. I looked, no Hellfire.

Appears to be several homebrew stores in and around Sidney.

Back