Biggest mistake yet...HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbyes

Reaction score
So I really screwed up. I started everything to begin bottling my batch of honey wheat, I got my first bottle out and realized I haven't yet sterilized my caps, only to realize I don't even have any caps...I was supposed to buy them today and forgot...WHAT DO I DO!?! I don't have a brewshop open till Monday, 2 days from now. Can I put it back in my carboy untill I have caps?

Please help, I'm drinking a Homebrew and it isn't helping...

Leave it in the bottling bucket. Throw something over the top if you don't have a lid. Sanitized aluminum foil works. The priming sugar will ferment out in a couple days so you'll have to reprime it once you have caps. Prime it, stir gently and bottle as usual.

Leave it in the bottling bucket. Throw something over the top if you don't have a lid. Sanitized aluminum foil works. The priming sugar will ferment out in a couple days so you'll have to reprime it once you have caps. Prime it, stir gently and bottle as usual.

Agreed. I'm guessing you will start buying caps by the pound from now on:mug:

SWEET, thanks guys...Indeed, by the ton even. Wanna know the worst part...I work part time at a local HBS...lame, Actually I think kegging is in the very near future. Thanks again guys

It's good to know all isn't lost....that is one of my big fear when I bottle, is that my capper will break and I will be left with 48 open bottles.

It's good to know all isn't lost....that is one of my big fear when I bottle, is that my capper will break and I will be left with 48 open bottles.

i (actually my wife!) broke a capper once and i just set sanitized caps on the bottles....had a capper in hand 12-14 hours later and no problems. carbonation was fine.

since it'll be a little longer for the OP, you probably do need to let it ferment out for a couple of days and re-prime. otherwise, could end up with overcarbonation.

Back