Big Starter container

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewprint

Reaction score
It's time to get a winter beer going. I have the Midwest winter ale kit and it looks like it ends up about 8%. I want to make a large starter but larger than what I can fit in my 2 liter flask.

What containers may I have laying around that'll work? tia

Had this exact problem this weekend for an 11g batch of porter. Thought I had a solution when one found a 1g glass jug of apple juice at the store, but it had a slight hump at the base that made it impossible to keep the stir bar in place.

I should've just searched. I'm just going to try to find a gallon jug somewhere...glass.

Do you have a growler?

That's what I use instead of my 2L flask.

An empty glass wine bottle / the kind with the ring handle.

The empty glass apple juice idea works too.

I don't have a stir plate so I'm not concerned about the bar. I don't have a growler. I'll check out the apple juice. Thanks for the replies.

I have a 1 liter flask and stir plate. For big starters, I make more than one starter sequentially. Store the starters in covered glass jars in the refrigerator. Bring up to temperature while I am brewing or even let them warm up from the night before.

One advantage: the yeast settles out and I can pour off much of the spare, clear, starter wort.

I use a 5l bucket I got for like $3 at lowes. It's in the paint section. It has marks for each liter (although I add water by weight). I've made 4l starters in it, but that gets pretty tough.

I don't have a stir plate either, so I have to put a pan lid on it and swirl it. Pan lid keeps the starter from sloshing out. I lose just a little bit because it off gasses when stirred, but works surprisingly well. Also, flat bottom for when I go to a stir plate (future build, I think) and wide open at the top makes cleaning easier and it has way more headspace than you would think (4l starter didn't come close to overflowing).

Ask your local bakery if they can give you an empty glaze bucket. They are perfect size for big starters and have a flat bottom. Best part is you can usually get them for free.

I ended up just using the 1 gallon jug that had distilled water in it. I shook the white labs like the label said, opened the lid and it went all over. I bet I lost 1/4 of the bottle. I hope this starter produces enough yeast.

I ended up just using the 1 gallon jug that had distilled water in it. I shook the white labs like the label said, opened the lid and it went all over. I bet I lost 1/4 of the bottle. I hope this starter produces enough yeast.

Yeah, those white lab vials are famous for that. As they warm up, the yeast get active and pressure builds.

I usually crack the top slightly open when I take it out of the fridge and I put it in a sanitized tupperware container in case i lose a lot, and I can still make a clean starter with it.

You may want to do a step-up starter to ensure that you have a proper pitch rate.

Yeah, those white lab vials are famous for that. As they warm up, the yeast get active and pressure builds.

I usually crack the top slightly open when I take it out of the fridge and I put it in a sanitized tupperware container in case i lose a lot, and I can still make a clean starter with it.

You may want to do a step-up starter to ensure that you have a proper pitch rate.

I'm glad it just wasn't me! That's the last time I buy that stuff. This is only my second time using liquid yeast and the other time was with Wyeast. No issues there and the package was huge.

I think it'll be alright. There was a heck of a yeast cake in the bottom this morning that I believe will only get larger as the day goes on.

Make 2L starter, stick in fridge for 24 hours, decant off liquid keeping the yeast cake.

Make second 2L starter, chill, put cold wort on top of yeast cake, let it ferment out again.

Problem solved?

I do this routinely to get lager yeast up to 500-600 Billion....you can keep stepping up your yeast.

Back