Big screw up or not? Need help!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydrasports

Reaction score
I brewed 10 gallons on Sunday... today is Tuesday. I put 5 gallons of wort in one ferment bucket and the other 5 gallons of wort in the second ferment bucket.

My screw up was I think I put two different kinds of yeast in one bucket. The Wyeast British Ale 1098 and a Dennys special 1450. Now this fermenter is bubbling along with no problems (I thought it would be a volcano with 2 pitches but looks normal). My question with this is will two yeasts added to 5 gallons of wort ruin this beer all together and make it undrinkable??

Second question is I have the second fermenter with no bubbling (since I didn't add yeast to this one at all). Being that it has been 2 or so days can I add yeast to it now or is it too late and this will now be non-drinkable?

Looking for advice ASAP so I can do what needs to be done when I get out of work.

Thanks

I would throw in a pack of dry yeast. just rehydrate to help start quicker. it should be fine.

I have had a air gap bubbler on it since I put it in the bucket so I don't think it should be infected at all. I will sterilize everyting like the bubble and any equipment and my hands prior to pithing yeast.

So I feel better then and hopefully all will be good.

Quick question... being that the wart has been sitting for 2 days or so do I need to mix it up or anything prior to adding yeast to aerate it? Would it be ok just to open the top and pitch the yeat without shaking it? Would it be best to reboil, clean fermenter, disinfect fermenter? Definetly would be easiest just to pitch the yeast into it and maybe disinfect a spoon and stir.

IMO, just pitch they yeast.. I have had normal fermentations take 2 days to start.. I dont see much of a difference..

Back