Big Mouth Bubbler & Wine Thief

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicknack

Reaction score
New brewer here... on my third batch.

I have a big mouth bubbler and really like using it. When it comes time to check the gravity, taking off the airlock and inserting my wine thief is easy enough. It's nice not to have to take the entire lid off exposing my brew to more air than is needed. However, the problem I run into is when attempting to return the test amount from the wine thief back to the big mouth bubbler, there doesn't seem to be away to do it because I'm not able to angle the wine thief in a way that allows it press against the side of the bubbler in order to release the sample beer. Therefore, with my last batch, I had to unscrew the top in order to accomplish this. Is there something that I'm missing here?

You should never return your gravity sample to your brew. That could lead to some pretty nasty infections!!

Why? The hydrometer is sanitized as is the wine thief.

I certainly could just drink it (or toss it) as maybe I should. I guess it's just me being a bit anal and not wanting to waste any of my soon to be precious beer. :D

Let me get this straight...you're concerned about opening the lid for a few seconds while grabbing a sample, but you're not concerned about pulling a sample, using it to test gravity (outside the fermentor), then returning it? Hmmm...

KageBrew is right, in that for beer returning a gravity sample to the batch is not standard practice. If your sanitation is impeccable, you might be fine, but why risk the full batch for the sake of a few ounces? If it's that important, just up your batch volume by a quart and you'll always have enough for as many gravity samples as you like.

Let me get this straight...you're concerned about opening the lid for a few seconds while grabbing a sample, but you're not concerned about pulling a sample, using it to test gravity (outside the fermentor), then returning it? Hmmm...

KageBrew is right, in that for beer returning a gravity sample to the batch is not standard practice. If your sanitation is impeccable, you might be fine, but why risk the full batch for the sake of a few ounces? If it's that important, just up your batch volume by a quart and you'll always have enough for as many gravity samples as you like.

As a new brewer, I'm just trying to learn - please excuse whatever noobness I show. Not returning the sample is probably because I haven't read anything that says not to do so until now. Also, I watched an instructional video a couple weeks ago (showing how to use a wine thief) and the brewer in the video returned the sample after testing it. The other reason I thought that returning the sample was standard is that the wine thief is built to do this - just press against the bottom and the beer pours out.

All that said, it looks like I will be drinking my samples for now on without return them to the batch. I appreciate you letting me know.

On a related note... I'm not trying to second guess what you are saying (just trying to learn); I still don't understand how I am risking contamination of my beer if my thief and hydrometer are properly sanitized.

As a new brewer, I'm just trying to learn best practices is all.

No problem. Hope I didn't come off as criticizing you. :mug:

Also, I watched an instructional video a couple weeks ago (showing how to use a wine thief) and the brewer in the video returned the sample after testing it.

What video? It sounds like it might have been old, or not made with optimum quality in mind. Would it help to have experienced brewers around here find good videos to watch, rather than try to separate the good from the bad and ugly yourself?

The other reason I thought that returning the sample was standard is that the wine thief is built to do this - just press against the bottom and the beer pours out.

Sure you're talking about a wine thief? They release liquid when you take your thumb off the top. It sounds like you're describing a bottle filler, not a wine thief.

On a related note... I'm not trying to second guess what you are saying (just trying to learn); I still don't understand how I am risking contamination of my beer if my thief and hydrometer are properly sanitized.

No worries. It's always good to ask questions. There are organisms in the air that can contaminate your beer. Even if you sanitize the surfaces that come in contact with the sample, unless you're sanitizing the whole room, or measuring gravity in a vacuum, you're still increasing risk. Yes, it's usually a small risk, but risking 5 gallons for the sake of a few ounces is generally a risk most all brewers are not inclined to take. Like I said, just up your batch size a bit if you want a full 5 gallons at the end.

No worries... just taking it all in stride as I know I have so much to learn. :)

The video was something I found on YouTube because I wanted to know how to use the Wine Thief. For noobs like myself, it would be incredibly helpful to know what videos to trust because there are so many out there and anyone can profess to be an expert.

Also, it is definitely a Wine Thief and not a bottle filler. I know very little at this point, but that I do know. The end of it allows you to release the beer when pressing on the end of it. With the Wine Thief that I got from Northern Brewer, there is nothing abut taking your thumb off the top that will do what you suggest. It is all about pressing the bottom of it against something that releases liquid.

This evening I took another sample and this time I am happy to report... I drank it rather than putting it back in the batch. :D

I see. There are some new kinds of products out now. You have this one, I take it?

450x450xfermtech_wine_thief_8260.jpg.pagespeed.ic.3o7PvQxX0S.jpg

Fancy. A classical wine thief looks like this. Just one piece. As you can see, it operates differently. The one you have might be more designed to reduce exposure, hence return wort to the fermentor with greater safety. I still wouldn't do it, but your question makes more sense now. Hell, even the NB product page states something about returning the wort sample. I'm surprised.

THF110LG_1.JPG

Yes, the Wine Thief on top is what I have.

As for posting questions here, I certainly have been but I try to do my own due diligence of searching before doing so. I'm starting to get a better handle on what info to trust but still learning. :)

Back