Big Mouth Bubbler EVO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Puddlethumper

Reaction score
The Big Mouth Bubbler got off to a rocky start with a few units of the first version experiencing spontaneous breakage. Not a good thing! Due to the possibility of serious injury from broken glass this version definitely was an item that needed to be pulled from the shelf. One would suspect that the sellers also realized they had a serious product liability problem on their hands.

So, enter the EVO2, a re-worked and re-designed Big Mouth Bubbler.:

I took delivery yesterday of my BMB EVO2. I was impressed with the thickness of the glass and the general "feel" of the jar. It is about the same weight as a 6.5 gal. glass carboy and appears to be made of glass of similar thickness. I will be making a batch of cream ale this afternoon for its first run.

This is a beefy product and I have yet to read a report on this or any other forum of glass failures. As with any glass object it is breakable but I would figure the EVO2's chances of spontaneous breakage equivalent to that of a similar size glass carboy. I am convinced that the sellers have addressed the breakage issue (and I imagine their lawyers and GL carrier are glad they did).

The lid is plastic and screws on smoothly and "appears" to seal. But I have read reports of others experiencing issues with the lid actually sealing down tightly. I will need to run a batch through mine before I can comment on that. I did drill out the hole for the airlock to accommodate a stopper thermowell. A step-drill did the job just fine with only a little cleanup with a razor knife needed.

A single hole drilled beside the airlock will work if using a straight thermowell (other than a stopper thermowell). The appropriately sized grommet then should seal it adequately. I've seen pictures where others have done this with good success.

I have an older model BrewHauler and it fit the EVO2. I am confident it will work just fine. (Hey, it hauled many 6.5 gal. glass carboys full of beer.)

Recommendation? After reading the reviews in a previous thread by those who also have purchased one of these I wasn't afraid to lay some cash down and order one myself. Is it the perfect fermenter? Probably not but it does have many strong points. The fact that it is glass brings both positives and negatives as has been discussed ad-nauseum in other threads. But if you are seeking a replacement or additional fermenter and have decided on glass then I would suggest you give this one a look.

Cheers!
:mug:

After 24 hours we have a good krausen and soft bubbling in the airlock. But not without a little extra work.

I had the same sealing problem with my BMB as others have reported. After 12 hrs. or so I could see the krausen building but the airlock was dead still. At 24 hrs. with no airlock activity it was obvious that the lid wasn't sealing as tightly as it should.

I did order the extra pack of lid seals with mine so had them on hand against just such an issue. I added two more gaskets and coated them each with a thin film of CIP Film (sort of like using grease on a water pump gasket). It seemed to do the trick and was seeing soft bubbling in the airlock within an hour.

This problem hasn't changed my initial evaluation of the unit other than to advise a potential buyer to be prepared to do a little tweaking to get a good seal. I intend to write to NB and Midwest (the two big suppliers of the unit) and inform them of the sealing problem. I suspect they are already fully aware of it but the more the wheel squeaks the more likely it'll get some grease. I would hope they'd take that feedback and see what can be done to correct this problem in future production runs.

Cheers!

BMB EVO2 2015-08-02.JPG

STC1000 2015-08-02.JPG

After 24 hours we have a good krausen and soft bubbling in the airlock. But not without a little extra work.

I had the same sealing problem with my BMB as others have reported. After 12 hrs. or so I could see the krausen building but the airlock was dead still. At 24 hrs. with no airlock activity it was obvious that the lid wasn't sealing as tightly as it should.

I did order the extra pack of lid seals with mine so had them on hand against just such an issue. I added two more gaskets and coated them each with a thin film of CIP Film (sort of like using grease on a water pump gasket). It seemed to do the trick and was seeing soft bubbling in the airlock within an hour.

This problem hasn't changed my initial evaluation of the unit other than to advise a potential buyer to be prepared to do a little tweaking to get a good seal. I intend to write to NB and Midwest (the two big suppliers of the unit) and inform them of the sealing problem. I suspect they are already fully aware of it but the more the wheel squeaks the more likely it'll get some grease. I would hope they'd take that feedback and see what can be done to correct this problem in future production runs.

Cheers!

Where did that lid come from? I like that so much more than the 2 piece that I have. In fact I hate the 2 piece lid.

Where did that lid come from? I like that so much more than the 2 piece that I have. In fact I hate the 2 piece lid.

I modified the original that came with the BMB by drilling it out with a step-drill. The only thermowell I had was a stopper thermowell for a carboy, I needed a hole big enough to accommodate the stopper.

well, ive been having problems with mine. The issue is the lid wont seal, no matter what i do. When i ordered the EVO2, i also ordered additional gaskets. I initially got the lid to seal with extra gaskets, however i ended up cracking the lid when attempting to drill it for a thermowell so i never put it to an actual test. I ordered a new lid and i have not been able to get it to seal at all. I examined the previous thread on the bubbler and made some of my own observations. I test the seal by screwing the lid on and blow gently into the "stopper hole" in the lid. if i hear air escaping, the lid is not sealed.

1) The lid appears to cross threads very easily. I get the threads started properly however, as i screw the lid on, the threads near the top of the lid and the Evo2 become crossed. I can see the threads of the lid damaged when i remove the lid.

2) the lid begins the screw on easily at first, but then becomes more and more difficult. I believe this is because of the threads crossing close to the top of the lid where the lid has less give.

3) as the lid is close to being completely screwed on, the crossed threads cause the lid to bend at the sealing surface preventing the lid from sealing. (instead of the lid having a flat sealing area, it becomes bowed due to side of the lid being pushed out at the site of the crossed threads)

4) the threads appear to become crossed where a seam in the glass intersects the threads on the Evo2. It seems the seam pushes the threads of the lid out of the thread valleys in the glass causing the threads to cross.

To remedy the issue and get a good seal, I have made the following modifications:

1) i initially created a gasket out of FDA grade 1/8" silicone. I was able to gain a seal just once, however, the lid was almost impossible to remove. All further attempts to obtain a seal with the silicone have failed.

2) I have ground down the seam on the Evo2 where the seam intersects the threads with a dremmel (while preserving the threads.) This has not shown any improvement in the ability to obtain a seal or make the lead easier to screw on completely.

3) I have attempted to repair the damaged threads on the lid. No improvement was noticed.

3) I have added additional gaskets to "build up" the seal. This has not been successful.

My next attempts at fixing the problem will involve:

1) Purchase yet another lid to ensure the threads are not damaged

2) grind down the area where the glass seam and threads intersect to completely remove the seam ridge and the threads.

Wow! You've had some struggles with that! Have you contacted the seller to see if they have any suggestions or are willing to replace it?

Ok - I'll throw in my 2 cents as I've owned one for a few months and brewed three batches in it.

Glass is nice and thick. I have no worries of spontaneous detonation with this.

Don't like the decorative bubbles in the glass - makes it a tad harder to clean. But not a show stopper.

It FITS in a milk crate - nice to carry and store in.

Lid seal - yep. I HAD a lid seal problem. Got a cheap silicone baking mat. Used some of the lid gaskets as a template and cut two silicone seals. Works perfectly now.

The 6.5 doesn't leave much room for big krausen in a 5.5 gallon batch, so have a blow-off system ready.

On the bottom of the glass, it is clearly stamped - so you can see 100% that these fermenters were made to ferment beer. They aren't repurposed pickling jars. (Well - the concept is the same, but the company that imports these actually took the time to work with the manufacturer to make a quality product).

So - I highly recommend these. Without reservation. Easy to clean and sanitize (bleach bombing without the worry of it leaching into plastic).

Well, I've fermented two batches in my BMB with the third coming this weekend. I am also have the same sealing issues that everyone else is having. Let's face it, the lid sux! In preparation for batch 2, I ground out the seams. That made the lid a wee bit less difficult to operate. Did not seal sufficiently to see activity in airlock. Figured I was okay since contaminants and organisms simply can't navigate through the maze of the lid and threads to reach the wort. Helles turned out great! Okay, so for batch 3, I added all 5 replacement seals for a total of 6 and turned the lid until I couldn't turn it anymore. I blew into the bottle and was very disappointed that no seal had been achieved. Next, I lubed up the top seal with keg lube and lubed the threads on the BMB as well. Much better seal, but still not perfect. They need to figure out a better lid! Maybe model it after a Mason Jar lid?

Figured I was okay since contaminants and organisms simply can't navigate through the maze of the lid and threads to reach the wort. Helles turned out great!

I just started my second batch in my BMB. Followed another fellow's lead and made a new seal out of a silicone cooking mat using the supplied gaskets as a template. I'll probably have some results to post in a day or so.

Although the seal isn't good as supplied I have come to the conclusion that it probably doesn't really matter all that much. After all people have been making very good beer for centuries without the benefit of airtight fermentation chambers. Like you said, all that matters is that we need to keep the creepy-crawlies out and the fit of the lid and threads on the bottle as it is will do that.

Cheers!

8/19/15 Update:

OK I'm 48 hrs. into fermentation. Big head of krausen and smells great! All the signs of a good fermentation are there except there is zero activity in the airlock. The lid on this thing is leaking like a sieve somewhere.

Again, I doubt it will have any effect on the finished beer but it does speak to some poor workmanship/design in the manufacturing of this jug...at least for use as a beer fermenter.

Will I continue to use it? Yes. It will still make good beer and it is still easy to fill, add ingredients, clean, etc. All the reasons I liked it from the outset.

Will I recommend it to others? Perhaps, but with the reservations we have discussed above.

Last edited:
I bought my BMB II in February. So, I just started my third batch of beer in my BMB II on Saturday. Prior to starting I lubed, with keg lube, 6 of the standard seals and coated all of the threads in the cover. STILL no seal! So, I called Midwest and chatted with Gabe who was patient and understood the problem. He mentioned that sometimes the manufacturer grinds the top a little too far, making it impossible to ever get a good seal. He said that he would be sending a whole new BMB out. After 6 months! Awesome! I just got the notice from UPS that it will be delivered tomorrow morning. :ban:

It blows my mind that NB/MWB is a multi-million dollar company and they can't even bother to hire an engineer to properly design their products. These products should be able to properly seal with a gasket, period.

So, I received my new BMB EVO II. I was a little worried at first. It is pretty light compared to the first one, more like a proper carboy. Pretty cool actually. And it seals! Woo hoo! The carrier is kind of loose, not able to adjust for tight fit. No problem... Check it out.

BMB2.jpg

So, I received my new BMB EVO II. I was a little worried at first. It is pretty light compared to the first one, more like a proper carboy. Pretty cool actually. And it seals! Woo hoo!

That is cool. It sounds like they have redesigned it yet again. Do they call this one the EVO3? lol

The older style BrewHaulers with only one horizontal strap must be more adjustable than the two strap models they're selling for the BMB. I have two of the single strap models and they can be adjusted to fit snugly on almost any size carboy.

I also contacted Midwest about the seal issue. They got back to me right away and wanted a pic of the threads. Told me that if it has a big seam that would most likely be the problem. If so they will replace it at no charge. It's full of beer right now so the pic will have to wait a bit but I'm impressed with their customer service.

So here's the latest on the BMB from my experience ...

Contacted Midwest about the issue. A very nice fellow responded quickly to my email and asked for a picture of the threads of the bottle. I sent him the pix. He told be they had a fix for it and promptly sent a replacement lid at no charge. The new lid fits inside the bottle top instead of screwing onto the outside. The one he sent me was already adapted to fit my stopper thermowell. It will push down into the top of the BMB instead of screwing on and it fits very tightly.

Just brewed a batch using it and the new top fits well and seals correctly. After 20 hrs. I had a nice head of krausen and very reassuring bubbling in the airlock. IMO Midwest has come up with an excellent solution and the BMB is now, with the new lid, on my highly recommended list of brewing equipment.

Kudos to Midwest and to those who have hung in and helped them work out the issues with a great concept!

Cheers!

I really enjoy the evo 2. Still having no issues. I'm still using the original lids. Have considered ordering one of the newer version Lisa to see how they work. Any thoughts on those.

I really enjoy the evo 2. Still having no issues. I'm still using the original lids. Have considered ordering one of the newer version Lisa to see how they work. Any thoughts on those.

Which model are you looking at? I just visited NB and MidWest's sites and can't find a model called a "Lisa". Since my last visit to those sites they have really expanded their offerings in this line. It would appear they have gotten the issues addressed since at least two models were sold out.

I'm on my second batch with the new lid installed on my EVO2. It seals just as it should, is easy to remove since it doesn't need to be unscrewed, and is easy to clean.

When I checked on the fermenting beer after a few hours the lid was loose. I shoved it back down and it has stayed put ever since. Will monitor this to see if somehow we didn't get the lid seated properly or if the lid tends to pop back out when the mating surfaces are wet (Starsan).

Other than that I think they have the sealing problem solved.

BMB EVO2 lid.jpg

Back