Big Giveaway Maths

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you're married, you're right in thinking that you're never right, and the odds that you're not right don't rightly add up no matter the rightness. Then again, I've been known to be wrong.

If he is married, then it is implied that he is never correct. So, he therefore couldn't be correct in thinking that he is never correct.

*note* I've been married for 30 years.... I *know* I am never right! :ban:

Ok. Stay with me. This article has a pretty good explanation

http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/91998/probability-of-winning-a-prize-in-a-raffle

I'm using the easier equation, the one that says 'assume that the prizes are drawn with replacement'

In that case, the math is based on the probabiity of losing, as in, you have 2779/2880 chance of losing the first drawing. Over 45 drawings, it approximates to -> P-loss = (2779/2880)^45 = 0.9845

We all have a 98.5% chance of losing! yaaaaay. Probability of winning is (1-0.9845)*100 = 1.55%

How close is this to the initial 1/64?

1/64 = 0.0156 .......or, very very close.

I'm a university math professor and I approve the above post. Well done.

I won! Yes, I won an online, go-at-my-own-pace course in brewing that first batch of beer with confidence. Now, if only I could transfer this prize to myself back in the 20th century...On the other hand, that guy preferred to just read stuff...hmmm...

I'm a winner!

I have a friend who is homebrew curious and whose 10 year old son wants to be a brewer when he grows up and he said they would love to take the "Batch 1 and Beyond" course, so I feel like even more of a winner now than I already did.

Also, a couple of years ago I won a new keg, T-shirt, pint glass, and bottle opener from Keg Connection, so I'm pretty much a lucky duck.

All prizes have been claimed! Just wanted you guys to know.

:(
Maybe next time.
Congrats to all the peeps that got something... and a huge thanks to Austin for another fantastic Giveaway!

You are also all assuming that everyone claims their prizes, which never seems to happen (remarkably).

I'll take a shot in the dark and say that there will be 7 add'l names drawn before everything is claimed.

17, I meant 17.

So what were the final odds?

Latest posts

Back