Big Brew Day Planned

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I have done plenty of extract and partial grains brews. Doing my first all grain brew tomorrow. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390096118.062479.jpg

Just make sure you have a good brew sheet set up and you have everything pre-planned. It's really not that difficult. Just don't try to rush through it. Take you time, enjoy the experience.

I actually find all-grain to be a more enjoyable brew day than extract, from a relaxation standpoint. It takes more time over all, but I always feel like I have a lot more down time. Especially the boil All you have to worry about is your hop additions. I always found extract more stressful because there were more steps on when to add the extract, remembering to turn off the heat, stir well, turn heat back on, etc. I really enjoy just hanging out, smoking a cigar or two, and tossing the hop additions in when the alarm goes off.

Thanks, the wort turned out great the process us fun...I used liquid yeast and am waiting for it to start fermenting. I have just been schooled that liquid yeast could take a while to start doing it's magic!

Good! Congrats!

I completely agree. I love all-grain. I'm 4 batches in now. I have no desire to do extract (although I'm sure I will every now and then) because it doesn't even feel like brewing to me. Add syrup. Boil. Add hops. Cool. It's just too simple. I like doing my own mash much better.

Yes, I always use liquid yeasts. If you do a yeast starter (I'd recommend) you can get your lag time down to a few hours typically. Just adding a vial or smack pack has 12-24 hours lag time in my experience.

Yes, I always use liquid yeasts. If you do a yeast starter (I'd recommend) you can get your lag time down to a few hours typically. Just adding a vial or smack pack has 12-24 hours lag time in my experience.

One of the best improvements I ever made with my brewing was when I started to make yeast starters. I was initially intimidated by the thought, but the process was fairly simple, and the quality difference in the end product was noticeable.

Back