Big Brew Day 2017

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtk78

I'm here for the beer!
Reaction score
What's your plan for Big Brew Day 2017?
It's next Saturday, May 6th. I have a wedding out of town that I'm standing up in, so I will miss the festivities. I did brew 11 gallons today for my own celebration, although not one of the 3 "official" recipes on the home brewers association website.

In the western burbs of Chicago, I know Brothers Brewery and Hopvine will be giving free wort to people. Also Penrose is supposedly giving away free yeast.

What is is going on around you?

I will be doing 2 brews for an upcoming family reunion in July.
5gals of what I call " A clockwork orange" Belgian Pale ale
5gals of a chocolate stout.
I hope to do them on the 6th, if not, the 7th.

I am thinking of hosting a few friends to do a mini Big Brew Day. Going to do the saison since I've had some saison yeast sitting in the fridge for a while.

I'd love to take my stuff to a club/brewery to take part in a bigger brew day, but with 15 gal kettles and a Mini Cooper, transporting everything would be difficult.

Local Club is brewing outside of The Raven Brewing and BBQ in Big Rapids. Not sure if out in front, out in back, or both, but I do plan to brew. Not sure what exactly yet, but maybe a NEIPA since I just got a bunch of hops from Yakima Valley.

Our club was invited to go up to Stiggs Brewing in Boyne City to join that club in Big Brew, but we want to serve the locale community, and we had just approved the Big Brew Day in Big Rapids before we were invited. In any case, Big Rapids Master Mashers (BAMM) is going up tomorrow to Boyne City to brew at Stiggs and maybe get the collaboration brew on tap up there. Both events will be fun.

This reminds me I need to finish putting together the All Grain and BIAB instruction pamphlets I've been working on. Trying to get everything I think is important into a Legal-Sized folded pamphlet isn't easy. (Hence splitting those two apart.)

Also need to get jockey box ready to go so we can serve tastes. That seemed pretty popular with the people who stopped last year.

I'll be brewing with the Sangre de Cristo Craft Brewers here in Santa Fe at the Santa Fe Brewing Company. We're not doing a collaborative brew but instead everyone is brewing whatever they want.

I'll be brewing a 5 gallon batch of a red ale that I'll add to my solera sour carboy after fermentation.

I am thinking of hosting a few friends to do a mini Big Brew Day. Going to do the saison since I've had some saison yeast sitting in the fridge for a while.

I'd love to take my stuff to a club/brewery to take part in a bigger brew day, but with 15 gal kettles and a Mini Cooper, transporting everything would be difficult.

Please let me know how the saison turns out. I need to plan one with summer coming. It's easy for me to warm fermentation temps, much harder to cool it. I figure I can keep temp down a few days in a swamp cooler, then let it ride after that. Also.......roof rack.

Local Club is brewing outside of The Raven Brewing and BBQ in Big Rapids. Not sure if out in front, out in back, or both, but I do plan to brew. Not sure what exactly yet, but maybe a NEIPA since I just got a bunch of hops from Yakima Valley.

Our club was invited to go up to Stiggs Brewing in Boyne City to join that club in Big Brew, but we want to serve the locale community, and we had just approved the Big Brew Day in Big Rapids before we were invited. In any case, Big Rapids Master Mashers (BAMM) is going up tomorrow to Boyne City to brew at Stiggs and maybe get the collaboration brew on tap up there. Both events will be fun.

This reminds me I need to finish putting together the All Grain and BIAB instruction pamphlets I've been working on. Trying to get everything I think is important into a Legal-Sized folded pamphlet isn't easy. (Hence splitting those two apart.)

Also need to get jockey box ready to go so we can serve tastes. That seemed pretty popular with the people who stopped last year.

It's great that your club decided to stay local. And people love tastes. I will go out of my way to try something new.

I just cracked my first NEIPA (9 days after bottling) to see how it was coming along. My wife, who hates IPAs, tried it and said "It's hoppy, but not bitter. It smells great. Is that a fancy IPA? I could drink that kind. " That was compliment enough for me until a few others try it.

Glad to see people are doing something for it. I will not miss next year.

Probably not brewing but I have a Scottish lined up in case. Maybe order ingredients.

A bunch of members from our homebrew club (LIBME) will be brewing our Chopped beers at Blue Point Brewery, here on Long Island. The Chopped competition has us break into 10 teams. Each team picks a style and 2 ingredients out of a hat. This year, my team got the Dark British Beer category and our ingredients are smoked malts and orange peels. We are making a Smoked Citrus Stout. Should be interesting.

I'll be at Chicago beer classic on soldier field drinking beer but not brewing...which bums me out

Nice! I've been hearing about that on the radio a lot around here. I haven't been to this one yet. Are you coming up from NC just for the event?

Probably not brewing but I have a Scottish lined up in case. Maybe order ingredients.

So you have a plan. A back up plan, but a plan none the less.

A bunch of members from our homebrew club (LIBME) will be brewing our Chopped beers at Blue Point Brewery, here on Long Island. The Chopped competition has us break into 10 teams. Each team picks a style and 2 ingredients out of a hat. This year, my team got the Dark British Beer category and our ingredients are smoked malts and orange peels. We are making a Smoked Citrus Stout. Should be interesting.

That sounds like a blast and the stout sounds delicious. Bet that would go great with fresh grilled fish.

Participating in the Cleveland Iron Brewer. The usual. Last year I had to do a beer with cumin. I did a witbier and it turned out amazing.

"Brewer's will bring their equipment to The Cleveland Brew Shop to brew a batch of beer. Contestants will be given a secret ingredient and have 1 hour to formulate a recipe and begin brewing. All ingredients purchased from the shop will be 20% off with ticket.

Come prepared for anything!

www.ironbrewercle.com"

In So Cal it is the day of our brewfest. I'll be tasting tons of great homebrew (I hope it's great) I know mine is good, a simple blonde that lagered for the past month. I think my next brew day is going to be a long one. I want to do a big bubble bach that can lager through to xmas, a lemon pepper saison and then a party gyle with all of the grains mixed together and sparged.

It's my gf's bday on Saturday so probably won't be brewing that day. I do have to move my Hop Slam clone to secondary and bottle my dry hopped cider this weekend, but probably will do all of that on Friday

Doing a group brew with 12 other brewers in parking lot of my LHBS, Great Fermentations outside of indianapolis. Brewing a 10 gall9n batch of a Belgian Double. Rain or shine. Should be fun!

Cheers to all of you brewing today. May the hop gods and the boil over police be kind!

Big brew at perfect brewing supply in Libertyville IL. Stop by if your in the area. Well have several brewers in conjunction with NUBS brew club. Pulled pork and trillium beers for a club fundraiser.

Enjoy the day!

Back