Big brew % 0f ABV

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anything over 8% I consider "big."
The FG depends on the style. It can range from less than 1 (for a dry mead) to 1.040 for a huge barley wine or RIS or something.

For 8% ABV your SG needs to drop 61 points. So with an OG of 1.080 you would need a FG of 1.019, for example.

First things first.......in my opinion no beer should finish much above 1.030.....even barleys or RIS.......thats just too sweet........

Big beer shouldn't be decided by the alc % it should be decided by the OG bc the % is directly dependent on the FG. And the term in that case isn't Big Beer it is a High Grav beer. They describe a high gravity beer as anything over like 1.070 which I don't agree with, I think 1.100 is a high grav beer.

Just finished off a 18.5% monster IPA that was OG of 1.145 with sugar additions throughout fermetnation. It finished at 1.030 and is still sweet (again why I think 1.040 is way to high)

It all depends on your style because your FG will determine your %.

As for min........I wouldn't consider anything under 1.070 OG a big brew.......because if you get that down to 1.010 you have about an 8% beer. The reason I don't judge by % because you can have a 1.080 OG that finishes at 8% too.........

Latest posts

Back