Big bottles must stay warm?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
So the mental midgets in one of the Chicago suburbs have come up with a clever way to prevent public drunkenness: Insist that the largest bottle or can that can be sold in a cold condition is 24 ounces. Anything larger must be sold at room temperature.

Wow. What Einstein came up with that? Didn't they ever consider that a customer might just buy two?:confused:

Well it's not so bad, since bombers of micro brew are 22 ounces; Stone, Lagunitas, Rogue. You shouldn't have any problems getting those cold...just not those 40's of Mickey's, or Colt 45 malt likker. :D

Are you kidding?

I heard of similar legislation in Arlington Heights that said that single serving wine and liquor, as well as 40 oz cans have to be served at room temperature. They are even debating ceasing the sale of those products all together.

This is a classic example of politicians trying to solve a problem in a completely Back-a$$wards way.

Somehow, I doubt that anyone willing to drink Colt 45, etc. will be deterred even slightly.

Q: What are odds that the law is so poorly written that it applies to milk and soda?

Somehow, I doubt that anyone willing to drink Colt 45, etc. will be deterred even slightly.

Q: What are odds that the law is so poorly written that it applies to milk and soda?

Given Illinois-politics, I really wouldn't be that surprised, and only slightly more surprised if the cops actually enforced it on milk and soda....

Hell yeah wish it were the law everywhere. P!sses me off to no end when I go to buy a $14 bottle of beer and it's cold. Doesn't everyone like to drink their RIS at 75 degrees, or am I the only one? :D

These type of laws are ignorant and not well thought out.

That's nothing. The mental giants in Madison, WI want to make a 'no sale' list for chronic drunks. The list doesn't bother me so much as how they want to enforce it. They aren't going to make it a parole condition or some sort of registration for chronic offenders. They are going to fine the RETAILER if they sell to anyone on the list.

Awesome. Now we all get to not only be carded but wait while they figure out if we are on the list.

However, they aren't going to prevent any of the skeeves on this list from going into a bar and getting ripped. To be fair, they are targeting homeless and low income drunks so making a 'no serve' bar list wouldn't target the audience they are tyring to have an impact on.

I think they should sell the beer cold, but charge $5 for the bottle-sized brown bag that lets you drink in public, if they're concerned about reducing public drunkenness :D

chicago suburb...

...i'm waiting to hear

thats-racist.gif

i guess thats why my buddies and i call 22oz bombers "white boy 40s"

22oz limit huh? What about those 2 liter bottles of soda? How many ounces are those super sized slurpees? What about the large sodas from McDonalds? Talk about drinking and driving huh!

I take it none of you have been to Utah. They have some funny laws about cold beer and beer in general in that whole state. Last I checked the only beer you can buy cold is 3.0%. Anything higher in alcohol content and it has to be sold warm.

I know they change a bunch of those laws this year but they are still weird. At least you don't have to get a membership now to go into a bar. That was a pain in the arse.

Also don't bring beer from colorado with you to Utah. They profile license plates and will check you for beer. They still give out bootlegging tickets. I am very careful when I go mountain biking in moab. I keep the cooler completely hidden.

Back