Big Beer! - Fermenting Times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoBull6

Reaction score
As you can see from my post count, I'm new to these forums. I've been reading around and have some questions about my current batch.

I'm brewing a European Bock that came in a Brewer's Best kit. The OG according to the kit is 1.068 (I got 1.060 measured at 82°) - is this considered a "big beer?"

If so, how does that affect my fermenting times? I was planning on using the 1-2-3 guideline on this first batch, but I read somewhere on here that you 'might' want to go longer. How long do you think it should be in the fermenter?

The airlock is having little to no activity at this point (day 6), but that may be because I didn't properly aerate when I pitched the yeast. It is fermenting in an opaque plastic bucket, so I can't see what's going on, and I haven't poked my head in to check.

So, could you fine gentlemen please offer some timing advice - I had planned to transfer to secondary tomorrow.

Thanks!

Pull your airlock off. Carefully look in (maybe w/ a flashlight?) If the krausen has fallen (aka: you see your beer and not foam) rack it to secondary. If the krausen is still sitting let it sit another few days.

BTW, your temp-corrected reading is: 1.063

If you did NOT do a full boil, you are probably fine regarding aeration. The issue is when ALL of your water has been boiled, there's no O2 left - but if you added bottles of spring water like I do, or water from the tap (or filtered water) like a lot of other people who do partial boils do, I think you'll be fine. Take a look at it, if the krausen has fallen, take a gravity reading, I bet you're all set.

The airlock was pretty much stuck in there, so rather than risk breaking it, I just opened the whole top to the bucket. See the picture below. I don't know what krausen normally looks like, so I can't tell if that is fully dropped or not. Should I let it go for another few days?

nobull_bock.jpg

Can't help you except for saying that my brewing buddy brewed that kit as his first beer. I assume you used the Nottingham dry yeast included with the kit. If so, you'll be fine.

He did 1 week in primary, 1 in secondary and then 3 in bottles. Beer turned out great, better than most of my batches have.

I actually used White Labs WLP011 European Ale Yeast. My local homebrew store guy gave it to me with the kit.

I guess I'll go ahead and take it to the secondary tomorrow like I had planned.

This is so much fun! I racked to the secondary tonight. Everything went smoothly. Here are my results, comments:

- FG reading was 1.018 or so at 78°, and the recipe said 1.020, so I figure I'm good there. My hydrometer says that's about 2.6% alchohol - doesn't sound like that much.

- Smell - There's a faint smell of maple syrup for some reason, even though there's no maple syrup in the recipe. Maybe I'm just in the mood for pancakes and it's affecting my nose? :D

- Look - This thing is so dark that its like a black hole; no light can escape its surface. I was expecting something clearer, but maybe the secondary will help that.

- Taste - Not sure how to describe it. It's not bad I guess, just really strong and raw tasting. I wasn't sure how much to pour off for tasting, but I didn't finish the whole amount. My wife's reaction to it was bad - I even got a picture of it! - but she won't let me post that up here. She wasn't in a hurry to have a second taste, let me put it that way.

Here are pictures of my very first homebrew in its very first glass. Can't wait to see how it changes in two weeks when its time for botting! :mug:

bock_glass_01.jpg

bock_glass_02.jpg

NoBull6 said:
- FG reading was 1.018 or so at 78°, and the recipe said 1.020, so I figure I'm good there. My hydrometer says that's about 2.6% alchohol - doesn't sound like that much.

The percent alcohol scale on your hydrometer is potential ABV of a wort at that OG. The actual ABV is roughly the difference between the reading at OG and the one at FG.

Acording to your G readings:

OG = ~1.063
FG = ~1.020
diff = ~.043 x constant (127.5) = ~5.5% abv

Nice Attenuation - this should be a good beer. In two weeks you will see a major difference and after the bottle aging you will see even a bigger difference. Home brew, as you will find, only gets better with age. Even SWMBO will enjoy it!

BREW ON!

- WW

Excellent!

Beers often taste harsh and raw early one, especially after only a week.

Gravities in the 60s aren't really "big beers"--borderline, let's say. The 1-2-3 principle should do you pretty well. This beer won't be at it's best until it's been in the bottles 6-8 weeks, I'm guessing, but being your first batch you probably wont want to wait that long.

wilsonwj said:
Acording to your G readings:
OG = ~1.063
FG = ~1.020
diff = ~.043 x constant (127.5) = ~5.5% abv
Thanks, Wilson, for the calculation. I hadn't seen that before.

cweston said:
Beers often taste harsh and raw early one, especially after only a week.

Gravities in the 60s aren't really "big beers"--borderline, let's say. The 1-2-3 principle should do you pretty well. This beer won't be at it's best until it's been in the bottles 6-8 weeks, I'm guessing, but being your first batch you probably wont want to wait that long.
Thanks for answering my original question about a 'big beer.' I wasn't sure if this one qualified. I'll do just the two weeks in secondary, and then periodically crack open a bottle and see how it's doing. With 48 bottles to go through, it will take a while for me and SWMBO to go through them all - I'm sure we won't go through them in less than a month.

This has been such an interesting learning process. I appreciate everyone helping me along as I progress through this first batch. Nice to know so far everything seems to be working out. I'm doing my best to stick to the 'Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew' mantra.

NoBull6 said:
With 48 bottles to go through, it will take a while for me and SWMBO to go through them all - I'm sure we won't go through them in less than a month.

Sounds like you must be fairly moderate drinkers, then. I'm guessing that with great beer on hand at all times, your definition of "moderate" may shift a little: I went from a "one beer most nights" to a "one beer every night, two quite often" drinker after getting into homebrewing.

I do think one of the real secrets to enjoying the fruits of your homebrewing labors is to not rush your beers. Most beers in the 45-65 "regular" gravity band will be at their best around 2-3 months after brew day, depending on the style.

Once you feel comfortable with the process, I think it's a good idea to brew as often as you possibly can at first, so that you build up a cellar inventory that allows you to wait long enough to enjoy your brews at their peak.

cweston said:
your definition of "moderate" may shift a little

My drinking has already increased significantly in just this last week since I boiled this first batch. I bought a bunch of new beers to do "homework" - Hoegaarden, Blue Moon, Hefeweizen - just to start taking note of how they look, taste, smell, pour. Trying to get a better knowledge base to compare to my beer when it comes out.

Before I started this hobby last week, a six pack would normally last me a couple weeks (not counting social engagements). And now I went through two six packs of 'homework' beer just this last weekend. :drunk:

Now that my primary is free again, I'm ready to do my second batch. The biggest problem is choice! Should I do another Brewers Best kit, or should I try and replicate someone else's recipe? If I do a recipe, which of the hundreds of good recipes should I try? The hardest part of this second batch is going to be making up my mind!

Do a style your familiar with so you can keep track of yer personal improvements.
Do you drink stout? If so you know what to expect from a stout if it's not right you'll know and you can go back to your notes and try to figure it out from there and you would still have beer.

NoBull6 said:
Now that my primary is free again, I'm ready to do my second batch. The biggest problem is choice! Should I do another Brewers Best kit, or should I try and replicate someone else's recipe? If I do a recipe, which of the hundreds of good recipes should I try? The hardest part of this second batch is going to be making up my mind!

What styles do you especially like?

You mentioned hefeweizen--that's one of the most straightforward styles to brew, with the added bonus that it is best when fresh, so you can start drinking it in earnest as soon as it's carbonated.

If you can pick a style or two or three, we can provide possible recipes or help critique recipes that you find.

I like my stouts, but my wife shot that down as a first beer because she doesn't like them. Based on her reaction to the bock, I don't think she'll be particularly fond of this either.

Fortunately we both really like Hefeweizen. Is there a recipe you've had particular success with in the past?

NoBull6 said:
Fortunately we both really like Hefeweizen. Is there a recipe you've had particular success with in the past?

Traditional Hefeweizen--easiest possible recipe:

6 pounds wheat DME
Hallertau hops for bittering to make about 12 IBUs
(If you do a 2 gallon partila boil, you'd need about 1.5 oz of hallertau pellets)

Boil 60 minutes, chill, top of to 5.25 gallons.

Use WLP300 or Wyeast 3068 liquid hefewizen yeast.

G. Cretin said:
I like the Austin Homebrew Supply sunshine wheat knock-off.

i am gonna order that kit in the near future... :rockin:

Sunshine Wheat is a GREAT BEER :mug: :drunk:

Latest posts

Back