Big beer and maybe parti-gyle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUEnder

Reaction score
Tomorrow I'm brewing a Tripel that should have an OG of around 1.085. If I sparge to get 6 gallons for the boil, can I just re-mash the grain and sparge again to get a lower alcohol ale?

I've read some threads on parti-gyling, but I don't like the idea of dividing it up into multiple batches smaller than 5 gallons. I also don't have time to order any more base malt to compensate. I just want to know if this will work or if it's not worth running another 5 gallon batch off.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

You could generally get another beer out of it, but I wouldn't advise trying for 5 gallons worth. Depending on the recipe, you might squeeze 3.5-4, but 2.5 seems more reasonable for your gravity.

Just put the Tripel in the primary and now I'm boiling the remaining wort. I pulled another 4 gallons off the grain. Probably too much - starting gravity was 1.020 for the second batch and I tasted some tannin in the wort. I'm going to boil it down to about three gallons and add about a pound of sugar. 1/2 oz of Columbus hops for bittering and a 1/2 oz of Mt Hood for flavor/aroma. If it turns out like crap then so be it. Hops were left overs.

The Tripel should be good in any case.

That was pretty much my attitude with my last attempt, but I went way overboard and got virtually nothing but tannin. Yours should be better, although I'd worry that the simple sugar would dry it out too much. You'd probably be better served adding a pound of extract, if you have it.

So I pitched the three gallon "leftovers" onto an entire cake of strong belgian ale yeast from a 5 gallon batch. Further reading tells me this was a bad idea. Oh well. I'll drink it anyway.

AUEnder said:
So I pitched the three gallon "leftovers" onto an entire cake of strong belgian ale yeast from a 5 gallon batch. Further reading tells me this was a bad idea. Oh well. I'll drink it anyway.

I bet its already dome fermenting! I guarantee you'll be able to drink it, and it will impair you. What more can you ask for?

Should I try to wash the yeast cake and save the yeast after primary fermenting one beer and then tossing three gallons on the cake last week?

This parti-gyle turned out thin and dry. Not my best beer but at least it was "free".

I'm bottling the tripel today. Really looking forward to it.

Back