Big Ass Sink

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rambler

Reaction score
I figured this would be the place to ask all the beer gear junkies.

I recently came into a big 3 basin stainless steel sink. My original intent was just to use it for processing game and the large quantities of fruit we deal with.

However after looking at it the large basin (42x30x19) has an all stainless heating/recirculation system built into it. There are 2 thermostats built in and I believe they activate the pump and heating coils.

Am I outta my mind for thinking this could be a massive mash tun?

The pump is 220 volt/3 phase and I would have to figure that out. I'm not the most proficient electrician but is there any way to separate the pump from the heating coils and run them independently?

Am I just delusional here or can this be done?

Well if you wire the thermostats to a separate controller, and then wire the heating elements to said controller, you're in business. I would consider making or acquiring an electric brewery panel and controlling the heating elements with a PID and then switches for the pumps. You could have a large, temperature controlled mash tun.

Thanks for the reply. Your suggestion is what I was thinking but I needed a second opinion. Looks like I've got a new project.

I think what WI_Wino suggested is what you would need. Your taking your 115v single phase power to the input and it will output your 220v 3phase to drive your motor unless I'm missing something. Which is entirely possible.

Right, you wouldn't replace the three phase motor but rather use the fm50 to convert your single phase power to three phase. There are several different variations of the fm50, you need to choose the proper one based on the horsepower size of your motor.

Other than the motor, investigate if the pump is suitable (sanitary) for moving hot wort, or at a minimum moving hot water.

Back