Bier Muncher Blue Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm brewing BM's Blue Moon clone for a friend's wedding soon. This will only be my 2nd AG, so I guess I haven't completely caught on to the names. It calls for
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)
Is Marris Otter the right malt for Pale Malt Crisp? Also I'm guessing even though on AHS it only says "Kent Goldings" (no east), it's the same? Here is what I have in my cart if one of you fine gentlemen will make sure I'm ordering the right stuff.
Grain Bill
-4.5# Marris Otter
-4.5# Flaked Wheat
-1# Flaked Oat (suggested later in thread)

1# Rice hull
1 oz Kent Goldings pellet
.75 oz Coriander
.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter
WLP400

Sorry for being OCD. Since it's for a friends wedding I don't want to screw it up. Plus I don't know much about these wits, blue moon is just what he and his wife likes.

I thought that recipe called for white wheat, and Hallertauer, and valencia orange peel.

I think yall are thinking about Wayne's recipe, which I discovered after this post. Blue Moon He said he used to work for coors making this brew so it should be spot on. I think I am going to go with something more along the lines of it. I am changing up the hops a little after seeing another recipe.
I think I'm going with
.5 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Hallertau @ 45
.5 oz Cascade @ 30
.5 oz Cascade @ 10

But I changed to White Wheat, Valencia orange, and S-05. I'm hoping the cascade adds just a touch more citrus flavor and aroma.

I would follow BierMuncher's recipe. I brewed it a few months back and it was a big hit.

I used the recipe:

4.5lbs Marris Otter
4.5lbs Flaked Wheat
WLP Witbier #400 (use a starter)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (5 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (5 min)
1.00 oz EKG (60 min)

Make sure you give the coriander a rough crush in a mortar and pestle before addition; a lot of the "orange" flavor actually comes from the coriander. This is more of a traditional Wit (50/50 two row/flaked wheat + ekg and orange peel and coriander) in my opinion, however... to me it tasted more like New Belgium's Mothership Wit (which I love!)

I don't have a mill would mccormick ground coriander work?
41JTQ-WPK6L._SS280_.jpg

I just use a rolling pin to grind mine up. But, I have used the ground mccormicks before and it worked fine. You'll want to add a little more though. Depending on how long it's been sitting in your spice cabinet or on the shelf, it may not be as fresh as the whole corriander.

Back