Bier Muncher Blue Moon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eagle83

Reaction score
I'm brewing BM's Blue Moon clone for a friend's wedding soon. This will only be my 2nd AG, so I guess I haven't completely caught on to the names. It calls for
4.50 lb Pale Malt Crisp (UK) (3.0 SRM)
4.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00%] (60 min)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (Boil 5.0 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (Boil 5.0 min)
1 Pkgs Belgian Witbier (White Labs #400)
Is Marris Otter the right malt for Pale Malt Crisp? Also I'm guessing even though on AHS it only says "Kent Goldings" (no east), it's the same? Here is what I have in my cart if one of you fine gentlemen will make sure I'm ordering the right stuff.
Grain Bill
-4.5# Marris Otter
-4.5# Flaked Wheat
-1# Flaked Oat (suggested later in thread)

1# Rice hull
1 oz Kent Goldings pellet
.75 oz Coriander
.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter
WLP400

Sorry for being OCD. Since it's for a friends wedding I don't want to screw it up. Plus I don't know much about these wits, blue moon is just what he and his wife likes.

I thought that recipe called for white wheat, and Hallertauer, and valencia orange peel.

I think yall are thinking about Wayne's recipe, which I discovered after this post. Blue Moon He said he used to work for coors making this brew so it should be spot on. I think I am going to go with something more along the lines of it. I am changing up the hops a little after seeing another recipe.
I think I'm going with
.5 oz Hallertau @ 60
.5 oz Hallertau @ 45
.5 oz Cascade @ 30
.5 oz Cascade @ 10

But I changed to White Wheat, Valencia orange, and S-05. I'm hoping the cascade adds just a touch more citrus flavor and aroma.

I would follow BierMuncher's recipe. I brewed it a few months back and it was a big hit.

I used the recipe:

4.5lbs Marris Otter
4.5lbs Flaked Wheat
WLP Witbier #400 (use a starter)
0.75 oz Coriander Seed (5 min)
0.75 oz Orange Peel, Bitter (5 min)
1.00 oz EKG (60 min)

Make sure you give the coriander a rough crush in a mortar and pestle before addition; a lot of the "orange" flavor actually comes from the coriander. This is more of a traditional Wit (50/50 two row/flaked wheat + ekg and orange peel and coriander) in my opinion, however... to me it tasted more like New Belgium's Mothership Wit (which I love!)

I don't have a mill would mccormick ground coriander work?
41JTQ-WPK6L._SS280_.jpg

I just use a rolling pin to grind mine up. But, I have used the ground mccormicks before and it worked fine. You'll want to add a little more though. Depending on how long it's been sitting in your spice cabinet or on the shelf, it may not be as fresh as the whole corriander.

Latest posts

Back