BIAC nano brewery feedback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flugelizor

Reaction score
I have a friend who is about to buy a 3 bbl BIAC system. (Brew in a conical)
I have read lots of positive words about the smaller BIAC systems.
I have also read about the jacket failure due to possible pressure/vacuum issues.
I have never used a BIAC system myself, so I am hoping for some feedback from some advanced brewer(s) if possible.

This vessel has a big dead space in the cone, so no super high gravity beers, but that's OK with him.

I keep reading that water to grist ratio is very important. Any issues with water chemistry? Our water here is pretty soft, so we can adjust it if needed.

Also, it has a big 12 foot winch frame to hoist out the colander, so it won't fit under his big beautiful range hood. We will be trying to come up with ideas for ventilation.

It's an interesting system and process. The only thing I don't like about it is that you have to wait until fermentation is complete before you can brew again. Sometimes I like to brew batches back to back, and every day.

Thanks for responding!
Yes, that's an easy solution, just buy a few more fermenters.
But the grain to water ratio is kind of a permanent thing.

I read a good article about grain to water ratio. To summarize, the author said a higher percentage of water favors drier beers. I think I can live with that. Maybe we can raise mash temperature to compensate.

He plans to mash in it. That makes it 4-in one, right?
For sparge I think you are limited to a quick rinse as you lift the colander.

What did your friend end up going with? I'm very curious what his experience is with the BIAC at the nanobrew scale. Thanks!

He went with a more traditional 3 vessel system from Stout.
They had the room for it, and they are very happy.

Back