BIAB Vessel Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m estimating, but w/ the basket 3” off the bottom of the pot to accommodate an element, you will have 2 gallons below the basket, this may be problematic for 2.5 gallon batches.

Not a fan of baskets for this reason as the basket is 12w as opposed to the kettle 14”w.

Better option imo is a BIAB false bottom from brewhardware.com

Yeah you won't be able to do 2.5 gallon batches. For a 10 gallon pot you are roughly at 1.5 inch per gallon since the pot is 15 inches high. Very rough math here.

You will be at a minimum of 3 inches from the bottom with your basket. So u will need 4 gallons of water to get to six inches. Which only gives you 3 inches of water in the basket. For low gravity maybe if you circulate but I would simply keep to 5 gallon batches on that setup.

Are you using a 5500W element or something smaller?

@blubrewbbq
I was hoping to stick to a 120V/15A element, just for ease of use. Hence trying to keep the batch size down to 2.5 gallons. If the pot is less than 15 inches tall, I can pop it on my gas stove to help add some heat (and use the 120V element to maintain temperatures).

@wilserbrewer
It looks like the smallest 13 inch BIAB false bottom still holds the bag 4.5 inches off the bottom, so that would be 2.5 gallons underneath at 13 inches still. What option were you thinking from Brewer's hardware for 2.5 gallon batches?

@blubrewbbq
I was hoping to stick to a 120V/15A element, just for ease of use. Hence trying to keep the batch size down to 2.5 gallons. If the pot is less than 15 inches tall, I can pop it on my gas stove to help add some heat (and use the 120V element to maintain temperatures).

@wilserbrewer
It looks like the smallest 13 inch BIAB false bottom still holds the bag 4.5 inches off the bottom, so that would be 2.5 gallons underneath at 13 inches still. What option were you thinking from Brewer's hardware for 2.5 gallon batches?

Forget the 120V element to maintain heat. Bring the water to strike temp, dough in the grains, cover, insulate, and forget about it. It works fine that way.

@wilserbrewer
It looks like the smallest 13 inch BIAB false bottom still holds the bag 4.5 inches off the bottom, so that would be 2.5 gallons underneath at 13 inches still. What option were you thinking from Brewhardware for 2.5 gallon batches?[/QUOTE]

All BIAB false bottoms have optional leg heights. Definitely not limited to 4". The lowest you can really go is the 2-1/4 because it's impossible to lay the element down any lower. A 5 gallon batch needs a 10 gallon pot without sparging. Maybe 7.5 gallon if you sparge.

I ended up just ordering one of these: http://www.brewinternational.com/8-...d-bottom-weldled-ports-for-valve-thermometer/

Might be a bit too small for 5 gallon batches, but I figure I'll just use my gas stove and wrap it in reflectix (or any other better options?) to mash, as suggested. Might also be nice to use an induction burner on it. We'll see.

I do plan on doing some pretty high gravity mashes, so 8 gallons should be pretty good for 2.5 gallon batches at least...

I have two of these; actually they were purchased from MoreBeer, but they're the same 14" diameter 8 gallon kettles. They are heavy duty with high quality welded ports. I brew with an Avantco IC3500 (220V) induction burner, but I've also used them with propane in my early brewing days.

For mashing they do lose heat rather quickly, even when wrapped in insulation. Putting heavy blankets around and especially on top makes a big difference. I also cut a mash cap out of 1" rigid foam insulation that I can insert into the kettle and rest on top of the mash. However I've switched back to mashing in my cooler because it's just too easy and holds temp really well.

I brew 2.5 or 3 gallon batches so I have plenty of space. Mashing with full volume gets trickier with 5 gallons; you'll max it out quickly with a 1.050 beer. Obviously you can use less volume in the mash and sparge into another vessel. Boiling should be no problem. It loses 0.86 gal/hr inside, closer to 1 gal/hr outside.

I ended up just ordering one of these: http://www.brewinternational.com/8-...d-bottom-weldled-ports-for-valve-thermometer/

Might be a bit too small for 5 gallon batches, but I figure I'll just use my gas stove and wrap it in reflectix (or any other better options?) to mash, as suggested. Might also be nice to use an induction burner on it. We'll see.

I do plan on doing some pretty high gravity mashes, so 8 gallons should be pretty good for 2.5 gallon batches at least...

As you get some practice with it, I foresee you making 4 and 5 gallon batches with that pot. You may have to add a sparge step to fit the high gravity batches in it but they can be easy to do too. I made several 5 gallon batches in my 7.5 gallon pot before I read that I couldn't do that. I just finished a 4 gallon batch in my 5 gallon pot. I wouldn't recommend that as the wort was 1/4 inch from the brim when the boil started. I kept my whisk busy keeping the foam from going over the edge.

For reference, I have been doing 2.5 gal stovetop full volume mash BIAB batches (target to get around 2.6 gal into the fermenter) in a 5 gal pot. I had to bail on doing a 10% ABV Stout in that pot, but it supports enough grain for a beer up to around 7%. With a sparge and some care at the start of boil, you should be able to handle good sized 5 gal batches in that pot.

I bought an 8.5 gallon brew kettle from Brew International a few years ago, but I don't think they carry that size anymore.... The size is just a tit bit too small for my liking though. I just can't quite fit the full volume of water for mashing. Some day I'll go up to a 10 gallon kettle.

Last edited:
I have two of these; actually they were purchased from MoreBeer, but they're the same 14" diameter 8 gallon kettles. They are heavy duty with high quality welded ports. I brew with an Avantco IC3500 (220V) induction burner, but I've also used them with propane in my early brewing days.

For mashing they do lose heat rather quickly, even when wrapped in insulation. Putting heavy blankets around and especially on top makes a big difference. I also cut a mash cap out of 1" rigid foam insulation that I can insert into the kettle and rest on top of the mash. However I've switched back to mashing in my cooler because it's just too easy and holds temp really well.

I brew 2.5 or 3 gallon batches so I have plenty of space. Mashing with full volume gets trickier with 5 gallons; you'll max it out quickly with a 1.050 beer. Obviously you can use less volume in the mash and sparge into another vessel. Boiling should be no problem. It loses 0.86 gal/hr inside, closer to 1 gal/hr outside.

I've been trying to decide between an 8 and 10 gallon kettle. You have trouble full volume mashing with 4-5 gallons in 1.050+ beers in an 8 gallon kettle ? I'm worried a 10 gallon kettle will leave a gallon or two under the transfer arm, which as you know with 2.5-3 gallon batches its a lot.

I've been trying to decide between an 8 and 10 gallon kettle. You have trouble full volume mashing with 4-5 gallons in 1.050+ beers in an 8 gallon kettle ? I'm worried a 10 gallon kettle will leave a gallon or two under the transfer arm, which as you know with 2.5-3 gallon batches its a lot.

By “transfer arm” do you mean the valve in the bottom of the kettle?

A kettle valve should have a pick up tube attached to the valve inside the kettle that will nearly drain the entire kettle leaving a cup or two at most, perhaps less.

You have trouble full volume mashing with 4-5 gallons in 1.050+ beers in an 8 gallon kettle ?

No - I meant a 5 gallon batch size, not 5 gallons of volume. A full volume 5 gallon batch size might be more like 7 gallons, even more as gravity increases or if you want to do a 90 minute boil.

By “transfer arm” do you mean the valve in the bottom of the kettle?

A kettle valve should have a pick up tube attached to the valve inside the kettle that will nearly drain the entire kettle leaving a cup or two at most, perhaps less.

Yes, do they all have this feature I don't remember seeing them on a couple of them?

No - I meant a 5 gallon batch size, not 5 gallons of volume. A full volume 5 gallon batch size might be more like 7 gallons, even more as gravity increases or if you want to do a 90 minute boil.

Gotcha that makes more sense. Guess I'll be leaning more towards a 8 gallon.

Yes, do they all have this feature I don't remember seeing them on a couple of them?

Gotcha that makes more sense. Guess I'll be leaning more towards a 8 gallon.
If you want to go electric the digiboil is a great price. They say not recommended for biab but that is what I use mine for. I hear to strike temp and turn unit off and insert bag and mash in. With the reflectix on it, I have no problem maintaining temps for the hour. I have the 120v, wish the 220v was out at the time. More beer has the 9.25 gal 120v $159.99, 9.25 gal 220v $169.99 and the 17.1 gal 220v $259.99
20190316_120145.jpeg

If you want to go electric the digiboil is a great price. They say not recommended for biab but that is what I use mine for. I hear to strike temp and turn unit off and insert bag and mash in. With the reflectix on it, I have no problem maintaining temps for the hour. I have the 120v, wish the 220v was out at the time. More beer has the 9.25 gal 120v $159.99, 9.25 gal 220v $169.99 and the 17.1 gal 220v $259.99View attachment 617732

Nice! I saw the price on those and, while I am very happy with my current propane burner + 10 gal pot, they looked very tempting. I just insulate my pot now, so I could not see a reason that this system would not work well for BIAB.

Nice! I saw the price on those and, while I am very happy with my current propane burner + 10 gal pot, they looked very tempting. I just insulate my pot now, so I could not see a reason that this system would not work well for BIAB.
It will work fine. I still use my 8.5 gal pot and propane too. I do a double batch every brew day

Considering using something like https://www.amazon.com/CONCORD-Stainless-Steamer-Cookware-steaming/dp/B07HMDPHDQ for doing an all grain electric BIAB.

However, I'm thinking about doing 2.5 gallon batches and maybe an occasional 5 gallon batch. Would this be too big for 2.5? The basket (with bag) would probably be lifted 2-3 inches off the pot to clear whatever heating element I add in.
considering my brewig experience . I would suggest whatever method you use that the vessel used should be at least 2 gallons more than your largest expected preboil volume. Or 3 gallons more than your expected finished batch size. so 5 gallon batch = 8 gallon kettle. this would account for expansion during boil and maybe not eliminate boil over but deter it for the most part.

I would go with a10 gallon kettle. I typically use 8-9 gallons of water for a 5 gallon batches of beer.

Water lost to grain absorbtion.
One gallon loss due to the boil. Likely a half gallon to kettle loss.
Likely a half gallon to trub loss. Which leaves 5-6 gallons of finished beer.

Latest posts

Back