BIAB using Gas and Electric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tombsy

Reaction score
Does anyone mash with a with an electric element and then boil using gas? Currently I just heat up my water on the gas stove and shut it off, mash, then boil. Not very precise or controlled.

My plan was to introduce the Brau Mini with a 1500w element to help maintain the temp while recirculating, then just shut it off and turn on the gas. The pot will always be on the gas stove.

Should I just stick with gas and make a nice insulated jacket?

Pros Cons?

Thanks.

I don't have gas - my stove is electric, but I do something very similar for my small batches. I have a small electric HERMS inspired by the $50 Dedicated HERMS thread.

Mine has a 2000 watt 120 volt electric element controlled by an arduino. It currently looks like this:

IMG_20151029_133836315[1].jpg
IMG_20151029_133845864[1].jpg
IMG_20151029_133853411[1].jpg
IMG_20151029_133926148[1].jpg

The nice thing about this is I can do two batches back to back. I heat the first mash, dough in, and get the temp set, then start the second batch's preheat and switch as soon as the first batch's mash finishes.

Here it is in action, working on a batch of barley wine while an IPA is boiling.

IMG_20150519_165200179_HDR.jpg

I use my home made arduino sous-vide controller and the small HERMs to regulate temperature during the mash. Once the mash is finished, I pull the bag (from wilserbrewer) and let it drain while I bring the batch to a boil.

I had a lot of trouble maintaining mash temps until I went to this system. I know other people wrap their pots and have no problems. However, my temp would drop five degrees on one batch, ten on the next, and then one on the third. This made duplication or consistency rather difficult. It took a little work to set this system up, but from my perspective it is money and time well spent.

Hopefully this helps,
Cody

:off:

When I see big stainless fittings or tri-clamps on those little pumps with brittle housings it surprises me. It looks like the proverbial "accident waiting to happen". IMO a plastic disconnect or fitting would make more sense and show consistency and balance in the system.

:off:

When I see big stainless fittings or tri-clamps on those little pumps with brittle housings it surprises me. It looks like the proverbial "accident waiting to happen". IMO a plastic disconnect or fitting would make more sense and show consistency and balance in the system.

No arguments from me, but I had the stainless left over from another build so I used it. (That's why the pump connections look patched together from left over parts.)

I did install them very carefully! :)

So far, I haven't had any problems but I know some people have.

I would love to heat my water on the stove before going outside to brew, however I doubt it's a safe hauling 40 lbs of 160 degree water from stove to outside. I know it's not the same thing the op was stating, but it's as close to gas/electric that I can do.

I would love to heat my water on the stove before going outside to brew, however I doubt it's a safe hauling 40 lbs of 160 degree water from stove to outside. I know it's not the same thing the op was stating, but it's as close to gas/electric that I can do.

Make two trips :)
Fairly simple to scoop out 2-3 gallons with a pitcher or a small pot with handle into a bucket.

Well I went ahead and tried, and with a little help from the wife I used the stove to heat my 5 gallons then carried outside.. No more need to use gas to heat up the water..

Latest posts

Back