BIAB Strike Water Volume, temp and more

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Forrest-hunters

Reaction score
I know a lot of people have put calculators on here and the web. I wanted something to fit what I needed so here is what I came up with. Anyone see any problems with it or suggestions to add? How do the numbers look to some of you who may use them?

View attachment Brew.xml

MaxStout,

Not sure why you can't open it. Maybe save it to your desk top and try opening it. Opens on mine and others have been able to open it. It won't let me upload .xls just .xml per upload file names.

Attached a new spreadsheet as I added ABV, ABW, Calories and some other data. Hope to try it this weekend for a couple of brews, but I don't know my boil off yet as I have a new pot. 16" diameter so guessing at about 1.5 gallons/hr.

View attachment Brew.xml

It turns out my browser rendered the file as XML source. My version of Excel wouldn't display it correctly either (just displayed jibberish). However, I was able to convert it to .XLS at work.

Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but will look it over at home tonight.

Funny that the site doesn't allow excel uploads, given all the spreadsheet calculators we work with.

I finally used this spreadsheet this weekend on 3 different brews. All 3 hit the numbers like they were supposed to.. I did bump my strike temp up 1-2 degrees so the average of my mash time would be the target number in the spreasheet. With wrapping the pot with an old sleeping bag I could start the mash at about 152-153 and finish around 150 when I was targeting 151 for a mash temp. Did this both 75 and 90 minute mashes.

I did leave about 1/2 gallon in bottom of pot after dmuping into the fermentor. I may reduce my starting number a bit next time to see if I leave just a bit less. What was left there was awefully full of trub though.

I like the spreadsheet, but I feel there should be a loss to trub / yeast cake. IDK, I always find the volume of finished beer after racking less than anticipated???

If the batch size is 5.5 gal to account for this loss...perhaps a little low?

wilserbrewer,

my goal with this spreadsheet was for me to figure out what I wanted in the fermenter. I use 5.5 for the volume to the fermenter, but usually only bottle around 5 gallons. As you say that is my adjustment for the yeast cake and trub loss. I usually finish my boils with about 6.25 gallons in the boil kettle and 1/4 gallon is for the wort chiller and then I toss about 1/4-1/2 gallon of trub. Unless I over boile then I use a bit more and hope for the best in the fermenter with the crap that got in.

Latest posts

Back