BIAB: So when do you remove your hop bag?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TorMag

Reaction score
So I use a hop spider and hop sack and I have been removing my bag at the end of the boil. I have been looking at an IPA recipe that has hop additions at whirlpool 180 degrees. So I assume that means, add the hops when your wort reaches 180 degrees during the cool down. So for me, that begs the question, when are you supposed to remove the hop sack? Does everyone leave it in till transferring to the fermenter?

I always leave mine in for the duration. The majority of my hops go in in the last 15 minutes to flame out.

Same here. I've also just started lifting it near the end of transferring to the carboy and squeezing the hop juice out with a sterilized spoon against the side of the kettle to get a little more goodness out before it completely drains.

Yeah, looks like I've been doing it wrong.... oh well, it's only two batches this way.

I whirpool for 60 minutes, so by the end of it, the temperature has gone down to 150F. Not sure below what temperature you will stop getting any hop isomerization, so I suppose it won't matter much whether you leave the hop spider in or out while cooling.

It may actually help removing the spider to speed up the cooling

Bittering hops need to be boiled to isomerize

Aroma and finishing hops can be added throughout the late stages of boil, all the way through to drinking.

The longer you leave the hops in contact with the wort the more and different oils you will get out of them.

There is really no "wrong" way. I typically leave mine in throughout the cooling process.

I've done it both ways. Finally decided I like to pull mine while they're hot and squeeze the living daylights out of the bag. Right or wrong, I'm less concerned with infecting my wort with something nasty at these high temps.

When I whirlpool I leave the bag in, hit the chiller for just a few seconds and then hold a constant 180F for the duration. When that's done I pull the bag and then finish chilling. On my new kettle I don't want to come through the lid with my recirc line. I'd like to be able to start chilling the wort while I'm squeezing the hop bag. We'll see if I can pull it off.

I've done it both ways. Finally decided I like to pull mine while they're hot and squeeze the living daylights out of the bag. Right or wrong, I'm less concerned with infecting my wort with something nasty at these high temps.

When I whirlpool I leave the bag in, hit the chiller for just a few seconds and then hold a constant 180F for the duration. When that's done I pull the bag and then finish chilling. On my new kettle I don't want to come through the lid with my recirc line. I'd like to be able to start chilling the wort while I'm squeezing the hop bag. We'll see if I can pull it off.

Ok, so if you are doing straight BIAB, one kettle and a bag and the recipe calls for hops @ whirlpool 180 degrees, how should I interpret that?

Add your hops when the wort hits 180 degrees.
I leave my hop sock in until I am ready to transfer to my carboy. If I am doing a whirlpool at 180 or whatever temp them I turn my burner on as needed to maintain that temp. When I am ready to transfer I raise my hop sock and clip it to the side of my kettle out of the wort and allow to drain a few minutes. Sanitize my hands and squeeze a little to extract the liquid.

Sanitize my hands and squeeze a little to extract the liquid.

This is why I prefer to pull the bag while it's hot. Unless you're scrubbing in like a doc would before surgery, there's no real way to effectively sanitize those paws.

Not saying you'll get an infection from this method. Just increases the risk IMO.

This is why I prefer to pull the bag while it's hot. Unless you're scrubbing in like a doc would before surgery, there's no real way to effectively sanitize those paws.

Not saying you'll get an infection from this method. Just increases the risk IMO.

Yeah you're right- so far have had no issues and I'm 22 batches into my brew career.

Latest posts

Back