BIAB sediment after boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GUZ808

Reaction score
This is my second BIAB beer. After my 60 minute boil I chilled my wort, as I was transferring my wort in my primary I noticed a thick layer of off white sediment.
I believe it is from the fine grains(milled thin for BIAB). It was there on my first BIAB beer.
My question is: Do I transfer that layer into my primary or not? Do I pitch my yeast with it in the wort? Does it changes much?
If I let it settle some, the layer is still a good amount and holds some of my wort.
Maybe I'm just worrying to much :confused:

You'll probably get differing opinions on it, and you'll probably form your own opinion eventually. I used to try and keep all sediment/break material behind, but I don't anymore. One less thing to worry about.

I've also played with leaving the break behind, with limited success. Generally, most everything in my pot goes to the fermenter, and I pitch before it all settles out. Seems to be ok for my purposes!

I tried to get everything out by whirlpooling in my last batch. I cooled to 105, threw in an ice bath and stirred for 2 minutes. Then I let it settle and cool for 45 and tried to siphon it out. I ended up with no trub cone and ended up pouring it into the fermentor anyway. I'll try again on the next batch. Maybe I wasn't patient enough?

I pour from my boil pot to my fermenter thru a paint strainer made to fit in a 5 gallon bucket. Looks like this and works pretty good.

PaintStrainer.jpg

I put all of it into my fermenter and gave it a good swirl before I pitched the yeast to get things all good and mixed up. We shall see how it turns out

Wow, I thought I was in the minority, but +1 on most of the poss above. I used to try and siphon off the wort and leave the trub behind. It was a PITA. I do use a hop sack when adding hops to the boil. But after cooling, we grab that big ol kettle (I BIAB also) and dump the whole shootin' match into the fermenter. After 3 weeks, it forms a nice compact sludge cake at the bottom.

One thing I noticed from doing this method. If you wash yeast after fermenting. I found that there was too much trub when trying to do an initial separation in the fermenter before pouring into the large mason jar. I now dump out half of the sludge, then add the mason jars of water, settle and pour into the jar. There is a lot less tub transferred that way and you still get a good amount of yeast washed and saved.

I put all of it into my fermenter and gave it a good swirl before I pitched the yeast to get things all good and mixed up. We shall see how it turns out

Doing small batches in 2 gallon paint buckets I can't afford the space in my fermenters. I try to get 1.9 gallons in the 2 gallon bucket and don't want to take up space w/the hop trub. Trying to get 3 six packs each brew.

After cooling my wort, I use a sanitized spoon to whirlpool the wort by stirring it rapidly (but not splashing) for a minute or so. Let it sit covered for about a half hour, and most of the sediment will be in a thick layer on the bottom of the kettle. I use an auto-siphon to transfer clear wort to a carboy.

I am more worried about off flavors from transferring the cold break/hop matter to my fermenter, so I always whirlpool and siphon clear wort into the fermenter.

I generally do one of three things, depending on the beer (how much hops I used), whether or not I am going to repitch the yeast cake, and how lazy I feel:
1) Whirlpool and take everything but the hop cone through a siphon. I take about 98% of the wort this way, and the last part has grain/flour particulate - don't care, it falls out in the fermenter.
2) Use a bucket filter (semi-fine mesh bag with elastic rim over the top of a bucket fermenter), and pour the wort through, straining out pretty much all hop particulates. Usually have to scoop out the hop turd a few times depending on how much hops were in the beer. This also areates the wort quite a bit.
3) Just dump the whole thing in!

I use (2) when I plan to re-pitch and am making a somewhat hoppy beer (3+ oz of hops). I only do this with <= 6 gallon batches because the kettle is too damn heavy otherwise (I rarely make larger batches though). I also use a hop spider to limit how much gets in the beer in the first place.

If I am making a not-so-hoppy beer and want to repitch the yeast later, I'll use (1) or (2). Yes, sometimes I am too lazy to want to clean the siphon, so I just pick up the kettle and dump the whole thing into the bucket (if I am using a bucket that day)! :D

Doing small batches in 2 gallon paint buckets I can't afford the space in my fermenters. I try to get 1.9 gallons in the 2 gallon bucket and don't want to take up space w/the hop trub. Trying to get 3 six packs each brew.

Why don't you switch to 5 gal bucket (Lowes or Home Depot type) and do a three gallon batch? That gets you roughly 32 bottles... It would give you more head space for fermenting.

Just a thought.

Why don't you switch to 5 gal bucket (Lowes or Home Depot type) and do a three gallon batch? That gets you roughly 32 bottles... It would give you more head space for fermenting.

Just a thought.

The freezer I ferment in will hold like 5 of the 2 gallon buckets so I can really brew a lot of different beers. If I did the 5 gallon route I could only get two in there. I like the idea of lots of different beer to choose from. But it was a good thought. Mahalo. :tank:

The freezer I ferment in will hold like 5 of the 2 gallon buckets so I can really brew a lot of different beers. If I did the 5 gallon route I could only get two in there. I like the idea of lots of different beer to choose from. But it was a good thought. Mahalo. :tank:

I see! I too like the idea of brewing many different kinds of beers! Thus, I have switched to 3 gal batches (plus I can do all-grain that way BIAB).. I'll have to consider the smaller fermentor sizes as I have an upright freezer that usually fits two 7.5 gal buckets but if I build my own stands instead of the racks I could fit 3 or 4. I'll keep that in mind.

Noting the "Mahalo" I should mention I just picked up a variety pack of the Kona beers. Not a huge fan though (I tend to like 'em dark). However, The Fire Rock is very tasty!

I see! I too like the idea of brewing many different kinds of beers! Thus, I have switched to 3 gal batches (plus I can do all-grain that way BIAB).. I'll have to consider the smaller fermentor sizes as I have an upright freezer that usually fits two 7.5 gal buckets but if I build my own stands instead of the racks I could fit 3 or 4. I'll keep that in mind.

Noting the "Mahalo" I should mention I just picked up a variety pack of the Kona beers. Not a huge fan though (I tend to like 'em dark). However, The Fire Rock is very tasty!

Yea, I like by dark beers too. And to tell the truth I like my home brews better than most craft beers I've tasted. Went to a brew fest locally here for the past two years w/lots of craft beers and I stand by mine. :rockin:

Yea, I like by dark beers too. And to tell the truth I like my home brews better than most craft beers I've tasted. Went to a brew fest locally here for the past two years w/lots of craft beers and I stand by mine. :rockin:

Most of the time I feel the same way. Unless I funk it up, in which case I not what I did in my process and then NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. My chocolate stout was like that. Whatever I did there will not happen again.

Back