BIAB partial boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudash02

Reaction score
I dont know if its been discussed but I'm new to BIAB and only doing 3 gallon id like to upgrade to 5 gallons recipe but I dont have a big enough kettle any thoughts.?? thanks

Yes bigger pot is the preferred route, but for the sake of a pound or two of grain you can also partial it and top up your kettle. High gravity beers may be out of reach.

21 qt pot I have is there any way i could sparge to make up the extra water ? or would that end up being to water down

I've been doing pb/pm biab for nearly two years. I mash up to 7 1/2lbs of grains in 2 gallons of spring water in my 5 gallon (20Qt) SS kettle I started with. I use a 3 or 4 gallon kettle to dunk sparge in 1 1/2 gallons of spring water @ 170F for 10 minutes so I can stir the grains in the nylon bag. Drain grains again & add the sparge to the main wort, giving about 3 1/2 gallons boil volume. I top off with a couple gallons of spring water that's been in the fridge a day or two before brew day. After chilling the hot wort down to 75F or so, I strain into the fermenter & top off with the chilled water. This gets it down to 62-65F in seconds. It can also give a nice cold break as well.

I've been doing pb/pm biab for nearly two years. I mash up to 7 1/2lbs of grains in 2 gallons of spring water in my 5 gallon (20Qt) SS kettle I started with. I use a 3 or 4 gallon kettle to dunk sparge in 1 1/2 gallons of spring water @ 170F for 10 minutes so I can stir the grains in the nylon bag. Drain grains again & add the sparge to the main wort, giving about 3 1/2 gallons boil volume. I top off with a couple gallons of spring water that's been in the fridge a day or two before brew day. After chilling the hot wort down to 75F or so, I strain into the fermenter & top off with the chilled water. This gets it down to 62-65F in seconds. It can also give a nice cold break as well.

this is what i was looking for thanks :mug:

this is what i was looking for thanks :mug:

You will need to limit your batch size to about 3 gallons with this method if you want to do all grain. Otherwise extract will be needed if your topping up to 5 gallons . 7.5 lbs grain even if it's all 2 row you would be looking at pretty low gravities for a 5 gallon batch

I'd get a bigger pot, go all grain and save money each time by not having to use extract. Better control of the process too some may argue as you are not relying on the quality of the extract or lack thereof impacting your brew.

I've got a 10 gallon megapot. You can see it in action in the thread below. 5.5 gallon batches up to 1.080-1.090 would be doable with a sparge. I do full volume no sparge BIAB and have not gone over 1.066 yet. This was easily handled by the pot.

I will throw in one other option. If you do a sparge you can fit more grain. I typically make 3 gal all grain batches in my 5 gal pot, but occasionally want 5 gals of something. I can just fit a 10 lb mash but then I dunk sparge with a couple gallons in another pot or bucket. That 10 lbs gives me a concentrated 3 gal wort, which when topped off to 5 gal gets something in the 1.050's range. An alternative to PM'ing if you're making a lower gravity beer.

You will need to limit your batch size to about 3 gallons with this method if you want to do all grain. Otherwise extract will be needed if your topping up to 5 gallons . 7.5 lbs grain even if it's all 2 row you would be looking at pretty low gravities for a 5 gallon batch

I'd get a bigger pot, go all grain and save money each time by not having to use extract. Better control of the process too some may argue as you are not relying on the quality of the extract or lack thereof impacting your brew.

I've got a 10 gallon megapot. You can see it in action in the thread below. 5.5 gallon batches up to 1.080-1.090 would be doable with a sparge. I do full volume no sparge BIAB and have not gone over 1.066 yet. This was easily handled by the pot.
Agreed. With my method, my highest OG so far was like 1.065 if I remember right. I typically like to use some pale malt, or pilsner malt to emulate the base malt(s) being used. But it seems to me gravity would only be limited by how much extract one adds @ flame out. But 7 1/2lbs of grain is the upper limit for a 5 gallon kettle in my experiences. So AG would have to be a smaller recipe volume unless you score a larger kettle.:mug:

Back