BIAB on Induction Stove; Mashing in Kettle Wrapped in Towels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a Wilser bag, and I plan to use it for a heavy beer soon.

I have not used a kettle in many years. Just the Braumeister. I would like to run my plans by people in order to see if there are any glaring problems. I believe it's pretty much what I used to do.

The plan is to mash on an induction range. I will put the kettle over two burners if possible. When I hit strike temperature, I'll dump the grain in and move the kettle to an area covered by thick towels, and I'll wrap it up to hold the heat in. I'll repeat this for each step, moving the kettle back to the range if possible. Then I'll put the bag on an oven rack over the kettle and let it drain. After that, I'll do what little I can to chill it with an immersion chiller and warm Florida water, and I'll pitch when it finally gets to the right temperature.

Sound like it will work?

Being very new to this and I've had a few, I don't see any flaws. I did this once. I moved my stove away from the wall so I could get my kettle on the burner and away from the range hood. Got it up to temp, dumped my grains in the bag, and off it went. I kept the burner on very low to keep the heat steady. Once it was done, I turned off the heat, carried the kettle into the garage, and lit the propane burner I have. Went thru the rest of the process as normal and it worked out pretty well. My wife, of course, was a bit heated at the mess I made, so I was relegated back to the garage. I don't know much, so take this for what it is worth, but I don't see a problem. As long as your strike water is up to temp, you can keep the temp at about where it should be for the mash time, everything else is pretty simple. Rock On!!!!!!!!!!!

Oops, sorry dude, I just realised it was you who was the OP. LOL. I did not mean any disrespect and I know you have given me plenty of great info. Please understand, just giving my .02 worth, and trust me, that is about all it is worth. That and two Racer 5 on an empty stomach makes it a more interesting post for sure. Anyway, Rock on Dude!!!!!!!!!!!!

A new brewer who has been actively brewing for over 7 months can have plenty to teach an old brewer who laid off for 16 years and just go back to it. If you have done this recently, you are a better source of information than my old memories.

1) make sure your kettle will work with the induction range. (it's probably fine, but have you tried it?)
2) it's not too heavy, is it? You don't want to crack the cooktop
3) why not leave the kettle on the range instead of moving it? You can still wrap a blanket around it if you want.

A big kettle of hot water with a lid does not cool nearly as quickly as you think it will. Does it matter if it drops 2 degrees in an hour? Most of the conversion happens in the first 10 or 15 minute anyway.

A new brewer who has been actively brewing for over 7 months can have plenty to teach an old brewer who laid off for 16 years and just go back to it. If you have done this recently, you are a better source of information than my old memories.
I did it a few brews ago. It actually worked out great. Using the stove gave me better temp control on my mash as my propane burner in the garage is tough to keep steady. I only use the propane burner because my wife gave it to me as a present. Bless her heart, she is happy I have a hobby and is very supportive. Even growing hops for me to use.

And just as an FYI, I have been at it for a bit over a year I think. LOL. Although my experience level is probably well under the 7 month range. LOL. ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!

1) make sure your kettle will work with the induction range. (it's probably fine, but have you tried it?)
2) it's not too heavy, is it? You don't want to crack the cooktop
3) why not leave the kettle on the range instead of moving it? You can still wrap a blanket around it if you want.

A big kettle of hot water with a lid does not cool nearly as quickly as you think it will. Does it matter if it drops 2 degrees in an hour? Most of the conversion happens in the first 10 or 15 minute anyway.
Thanks for the help.

The kettle is induction-ready. Just happened to be made that way back when I got it. I don't see any issues with the weight, but there is only one way to find out.

I was thinking leaving it on the cooktop might not be great for the towels, which I hope to use again later. Maybe you're right, though. I can use a pistol thermometer to see how hot the glass is after boiling. One would think it couldn't be any hotter than boiling water.

I was wondering if I could use plastic bottles, but I was mostly concerned about 212-130, not 130-80.

Ice bottles are your friend for chilling warm wort. Your chiller should be able to get it below 100 degrees, then add sanitized ice bottles. I use 1L and 2L plastic pop bottles. Leave a little room for expansion when you put them in the freezer.
I have a setup where I run a pump from a Igloo cooler to the immersion chiller, thru the wort and back into the Igloo. Kinda a loop system where it takes the cold water out of the Igloo, runs it thru and a return line back to the Igloo Out here in Cali, water is an issue, so I try and recycle and reuse as best I can. It takes a bit longer, and I get about 5 bags of ice from my local liquor store, but I use that water to either clean up stuff or in the plants or lawn.

I was thinking leaving it on the cooktop might not be great for the towels, which I hope to use again later. Maybe you're right, though. I can use a pistol thermometer to see how hot the glass is after boiling. One would think it couldn't be any hotter than boiling water.
This is a kitchen range, right? And the kettle sits right on the glass cooktop? Heat it up to mash-in temperature. Turn off the stove. Add your grain, and putz around with it breaking up lumps, stirring it, etc. This takes several minutes. While you're doing that the glass top is cooling down to the same temperature as the kettle, if it ever got hotter than that in the first place. Your towels are cotton; they can take a lot of heat without scorching -- but I don't think you really need the towels. The main thing for keeping the heat in is putting the lid on. A big kettle of water has a lot of thermal mass; it stays hot a long time.

But I've never used an induction range, maybe that makes a difference somehow. I don't see how it could make a significant difference.

I have a setup where I run a pump from a Igloo cooler to the immersion chiller, thru the wort and back into the Igloo.
I use a similar setup. I have a pump in a bucket filled with cold tap water. I run the tap water (need to keep the bucket full) for a while to bring the temperature down to low 100s, and then I start dumping ice into the bucket along with water to take it down to final temperature. I'm not in CA, but this approach still seems to be a bit more water efficient, particularly in the summer.

With an induction range the heating element effectively is the bottom of the kettle. The cooktop itself will be cooler. No worries on the towels.
This is true, but I have seen it heat up until it makes oil residue smoke. But I think it's different with boiling, which is different from frying. Thank you for the input. You have given me a lot of good information, and I hope it keeps coming.

This is a kitchen range, right? And the kettle sits right on the glass cooktop? Heat it up to mash-in temperature. Turn off the stove. Add your grain, and putz around with it breaking up lumps, stirring it, etc. This takes several minutes. While you're doing that the glass top is cooling down to the same temperature as the kettle, if it ever got hotter than that in the first place. Your towels are cotton; they can take a lot of heat without scorching -- but I don't think you really need the towels. The main thing for keeping the heat in is putting the lid on. A big kettle of water has a lot of thermal mass; it stays hot a long time.

But I've never used an induction range, maybe that makes a difference somehow. I don't see how it could make a significant difference.
I think your advice is probably right on the money. Thanks for taking the time to help.

I'm a gas guy, but putting gas in this house would have been a pain in the butt. Natural gas is unavailable. I would have had to get a big old propane tank and bury it, I guess. Induction is surprisingly capable, even for a picky cook.

I could just break out the turkey fryer, but I like the idea of having everything more or less on the same level.

2017-08-28_20.11.18_dsc_1106.jpg

Avantco 3.5 kW 240V. No towels. One can set Avantco to keep temperature like 150F, 160F, ...

Last edited:
You might need to me careful if you turn the heat on while mashing if you don't have a false bottom in your kettle you could damage the bag

You might need to [be] careful if you turn the heat on while mashing if you don't have a false bottom in your kettle you could damage the bag
When I BIAB (2.5 gal batches), I use an induction cook top (120V) and a 4 gal kettle. I wrap the kettle sides in reflectix and cover the lid with a bath towel. For me, there is no need to reheat during the mash. I apply the same technique for hop stands.

The plan is to mash on an induction range. I will put the kettle over two burners if possible. When I hit strike temperature, I'll dump the grain in and move the kettle to an area covered by thick towels, and I'll wrap it up to hold the heat in. I'll repeat this for each step, moving the kettle back to the range if possible. Then I'll put the bag on an oven rack over the kettle and let it drain. After that, I'll do what little I can to chill it with an immersion chiller and warm Florida water, and I'll pitch when it finally gets to the right temperature.
Are you planning to step mash? While step mashing is possible with a simple BIAB setup, it is a hassle. Make sure you stir constantly when adding heat. I think most times trying to add heat to a system that does not have recirculation does more harm than good. I am pretty much 100% single temp mashing without a mash out.

I do a lot of 2.5 gallon stovetop batches. I usually wrap my kettle in a sleeping bag during the mash. The temp tends to drop about 4-5F over the 1 hour, but I feel like I still have good control over the fermentability of my wort based on my starting mash temps. A 155F mash will attenuate less than a 150F mash. With my 5 gallon batches wrapped in the sleeping bag, the drop is more like 2F over an hour.

I could not figure out a process of removing the grain bag without making a mess on my stove or counter. I started moving my kettle over to my sink so that any drips are contained. I let the bag drain for a while in a colander over a bucket, while I start heating the main volume of wort.

I am not sure I would want to make full 5 gallon batches in my kitchen. For those I use a propane burner outside. I use a pulley attached to an overhead structure to lift the grain bag. As mentioned, I would also check the weight rating of your stove if it has a glass top.

I am not sure. It was just something around the house from the kitchen that I repurposed for brewing. It just happens to fit very nicely over a 5 gallon bucket.
Many years ago I was doing partial mash brews; all grain with a significant LME kicker. I used a pasta cooker to strain and lauter the mash. It worked very well, but it only held a few pounds (3 or 4 maybe?) of grain. Don't know if that helps; I had it already and repurposed it.

How big is the batch you are brewing @Clint Yeastwood ?
I do small batches (2-2.5 kg grains) and can easily lift the mashed grains, but it does get heavy, esp because of the height you start of from.
If you can keep the pot in place during the mash, then I would do so.
I move pot and all into a big igloo cooler lined with an old duvet (yes, I don't always takemy own advice)

Cooling is tricky with my hot temperatures. I do as much as possible with cold water baths and then do the final cooling on the counter or in the fridge.

How big is the batch you are brewing @Clint Yeastwood ?
I do small batches (2-2.5 kg grains) and can easily lift the mashed grains, but it does get heavy, esp because of the height you start of from.
If you can keep the pot in place during the mash, then I would do so.
I move pot and all into a big igloo cooler lined with an old duvet (yes, I don't always takemy own advice)

Cooling is tricky with my hot temperatures. I do as much as possible with cold water baths and then do the final cooling on the counter or in the fridge.
I do 5-gallon batches.

I see that some people use an oven rack to drain bags. You put it on top of your kettle and dump the bag on it. I think this is genius. I bought a pulley thing, but I now think it's useless.

I wrap the kettle sides in reflectix and cover the lid with a bath towel. For me, there is no need to reheat during the mash. I apply the same technique for hop stands.
Reflectix is the bomb. I use a double wrap.
Skip the towels and make a insulation wrap of 2 layers of reflectex held in place by a bungee cord. I have a completely wrapped HLT and a removable wrap on the BK.
I do the same, but use blue painter's tape to secure the wrap around the pot. Garage towel on top of the lid during the mash.
I see that some people use an oven rack to drain bags. You put it on top of your kettle and dump the bag on it. I think this is genius. I bought a pulley thing, but I now think it's useless.
Bigger batches and you'll appreciate having the pulley, if only to hold the bag up out of the way while you position the oven rack.

I set Avantco at 160F or 170F depending of how cold is in the basement. This keeps mash at ~ 150F-155F. I do not wrap. What Avantco temperature settings are for?

When I BIAB (2.5 gal batches), I use an induction cook top (120V) and a 4 gal kettle. I wrap the kettle sides in reflectix and cover the lid with a bath towel. For me, there is no need to reheat during the mash. I apply the same technique for hop stands.

Reflectix is the bomb. I use a double wrap.

With Reflectix, how may degrees do you lose over, say, a 60 minute mash? Thanks.

Last edited:

A free hanging bag is self squeezing with an absorption rate in the neighborhood of .08. On a grate or colander, absorption is closer to a traditionally lautered .12.

A free hanging bag is self squeezing with an absorption rate in the neighborhood of .08. On a grate or colander, absorption is closer to a traditionally lautered .12.
Is squeezing a bag all that hard? Seems like you would just twist it tight and push down on it with a cutting board or something.

My Braumeister uses a mash pipe which is basically a basket, and I've been getting high OG's with it. No squeezing possible.

Latest posts

Back