BIAB mash recirculation through whirlpool

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dirkomatic

Reaction score
On my next batch, I am going to try to go BIAB, mainly to simplify equipment and cleaning.

I have a 10 gallon Bayou kettle with the basket, to which I added a whirlpool port in the side.

I currently don't have an electric setup and brew on a propane burner.

I know there are some who recirculate their mash and some who don't with BIAB.

I would like to know if anyone has recirculated a BIAB mash through a side whirlpool port instead of through a port on the lid.

Thanks!

I use a spray head in the lid, but I don't see why your idea wouldn't work. When I think whirlpool I'm thinking your return is close to the bottom of the pot, is that correct?

The return is a little under halfway up the pot. I want to say it's at the 4 gallon mark.

Come to think of it, I need to make sure the basket will fit with the elbow/barb installed...

I would think that You run the risk of not recirculating through the mash fully if you do this, water (or wort) follows the past of least resistance so may just channel from the return down the outside of the bag to the drain.

I do it, it seems to do a good job of keeping most of the grain in suspension. I'm using a 25 gallon kettle with false bottom.

Could do the Braumeister thing and run the wort in reverse during the mash. That would give the best chance to penetrate and mix the grains with out channeling if it happens.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks!

I'm still going to try BIAB, but I realized my basket doesn't fit in my kettle with the elbow and barb I use for whirlpooling in place. I'm going to try with just the bag first, and if that works well, probably take my whirlpool parts out, put a cap or thermometer there and go in through the lid with the recirc/whirlpool.

Interesting thoughts. Thanks!

I'm still going to try BIAB, but I realized my basket doesn't fit in my kettle with the elbow and barb I use for whirlpooling in place. I'm going to try with just the bag first, and if that works well, probably take my whirlpool parts out, put a cap or thermometer there and go in through the lid with the recirc/whirlpool.

You may have to use a large spoon or a mash paddle to keep the bag from catching on the whirlpool port when you pull the bag. Unless you find that to be a big hassle, you could just leave the whirlpool port in place.

Latest posts

Back