BIAB - installing a hook?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do BIAB in my basement and I'm tired of holding the bag over my brew pot to drain it. I want to install a hook and pulley in my ceiling, but I'm not sure how this should be done. The ceiling has engineered joists and is dry-walled, so they are not exposed. Any ideas?

E-joist.jpg

Engineered beams will hold lag hooks just fine. Pre drill a smaller hole and thread in the hook.

lag%20hook%2014.bmp

As long as you aren't right on the very edge you will be fine. You can also find the edge with the poor mans stud finder...pound a finish nail through the sheet rock in a bunch of places until you find the edge. Then shift over 3/4" and drill your hole.

I have the same floor joists in my basement...fwiw you really only need a hook and a rope...the bag is not that heavy and the rope will simply slide over the hook...lift the bag w/ one hand and pull the rope w/ the other...easy peassy...did it this morning

It should be obvious that the hook is in a joist by the effort required to screw it in. Give it a good test pull w/ the rope to be sure it is worthy.

Would it be possible to hang the bag from the top step of a step ladder? If you have one it would eliminate making a hole in the ceiling.

Back