BIAB in Keggle 10 gallon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slim M

Reaction score
I’ve been brewing 5.5 gallon batches biab style in my 8 gallon kettle and love it but it’s time to move back to 10 gallons. I have a keggle I used for years in my 3 tier system as the kettle. When I cut the top years ago I did the standard 12” opening in the center leaving the edge and handles.

I guess my question is anyone that’s doing 10 gallon batches in a keggle biab style do you have issues with the smaller opening in the top getting back out? Are you guys completely cutting the top off and if so are you losing much kettle volume?

We did a dunk sparge in one with 24 lbs and had to wedge it in and had a hell of time getting it out. I suggest you cut it out completely or have a basket made. My friend with that kettle was talking about doing another high gravity brew and I told him I'm bringing my 15 gal, we can use his to heat liquor.

We did a dunk sparge in one with 24 lbs and had to wedge it in and had a hell of time getting it out. I suggest you cut it out completely or have a basket made. My friend with that kettle was talking about doing another high gravity brew and I told him I'm bringing my 15 gal, we can use his to heat liquor.
Yeah thanks that’s what I don’t want I’m trying to avoid any brew day surprises. I’m worried if I cut below the domed portion of the keg I may not have the 15 gallon volume I need for a full yield. I’m going to try to measure it out this weekend by filling the keg and marking.

I can’t remember what the pre boil liquid level was back when I use to use it with the 3 tier. I marked it back then with an engraver but can’t remember if it was my pre-boil or post boil target. Maybe some who boils 10 gallon batches in a keg will chime in.

I make a bag with a heavy taper that gets rather slim at the bottom to help in getting the grain ball out. even though I feel keggles are less than ideal for BIAB, there is a demand. And with some gymnastics they work no doubt.
20 gallon kettle more better :)
Sell the heavy keggle and buy a 20 gal…jmo

I make a bag with a heavy taper that gets rather slim at the bottom to help in getting the grain ball out. even though I feel keggles are less than ideal for BIAB, there is a demand. And with some gymnastics they work no doubt.
20 gallon kettle more better :)
Sell the heavy keggle and buy a 20 gal…jmo
Yeah I might but I’m going to have to make do with what I got for a few brews for now. I think if I use a pulley & cut the keg opening wider I can probably get it out ok.

Yeah I might but I’m going to have to make do with what I got for a few brews for now. I think if I use a pulley & cut the keg opening wider I can probably get it out ok.
Make sure you deburr the opening well. Any kind of burr can snag and create holes/tears in the bag.

Brew on :mug:

I use a keggle with one of wilserbrewer's bags. Love his bags and they hold up well.

Attachments

• 20220910_101725.jpg
    20220910_101725.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20221001_071243.jpg
    20221001_071243.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
I use a keggle with one of wilserbrewer's bags. Love his bags and they hold up well.
Yea may have to try that out. I just brewed today with a big biab bag from Moorebeer and it already looks to be getting some small tears on the first go around. I’m needing something a touch more durable.

I inherited a 3V keggle system and I am seriously considering turning them into 10 gallon BIAB setups... Please keep us posted on your progress and findings. My thought is a BIAB with a false bottom a pump and a recirc system and a 5500w element to a single PID controller box....

Well several weeks back I took this advice and ordered up a Wilserbrewers bag and have run it through a few batches so far so good. Bag seems tough considering it’s a fabric of sort seems much better than others I’ve tried.

I got tired of struggling to get my BIAB bag through the top of my keggle and cut the whole top off mine. Easier for BIAB and cleaning.
Just bought the 1/4" ratchet system from you Wilser - thanks!

I got tired of struggling to get my BIAB bag through the top of my keggle and cut the whole top off mine. Easier for BIAB and cleaning.
Just bought the 1/4" ratchet system from you Wilser - thanks!
Yeah chopped the top on mine also and rigged up my own pulley system with an old ratchet from a ratchet strap and para chord.

I cut the top of mine as a test then cut the bottom off another to use the keggle dip tube opening as the center bottom drain. I really like having it this way.
2B0D556F-215B-4600-B3FE-7FE8BDC5793D.jpeg

Here are pictures of my setup. False bottom #1 for keeping bag off of the element - did without this for a while until I tried a step mash and burned my bag. False bottom #2 is for keeping hop debris out of fermenter.

Attachments

• #1.jpg
    #1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 0
  • #2.jpg
    #2.jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 0
  • #3.jpg
    #3.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 0
  • #4.jpg
    #4.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Here are pictures of my setup. False bottom #1 for keeping bag off of the element - did without this for a while until I tried a step mash and burned my bag. False bottom #2 is for keeping hop debris out of fermenter.
Any particular false bottom you recommend for the #2? I just obtained some kegs and I am in the process of converting them. I however plan on doing gas instead of electric as I am in a rent house and don't particularly have the ability to go electric at this time.

Any particular false bottom you recommend for the #2? I just obtained some kegs and I am in the process of converting them. I however plan on doing gas instead of electric as I am in a rent house and don't particularly have the ability to go electric at this time.
I'm thinking of converting a keg already set up with electric heat and was looking around at false bottoms.. found some here: Mash Tuns, Hot Liquor Tanks & Accessories | MoreBeer as well as other outlets.

Back