BIAB + big beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tdjb

Reaction score
So I just completed my 3rd 5 gallon all grain batch and am looking at doing some smaller sized experimental batches. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work fine, but will the BIAB method work ok with bigger beers like an RIS or barleywine?
I was planning on using a full thing of dry yeast simply because of the high OG. Anyone done this that can offer advice?

:mug:

You'll usually get less efficiency when doing a bigger beer with the BIAB method, as a generalization. Good news is that if you don't hit your gravity then you can always "bulk up" with DME.

Well I just tried one and failed miserably. The problem is that you have to figure out the draining steps. Depending on the height of your stove and your grain bill you could end up having to lift 25lbs+ of wet grain at eye level for an extended period of time. I quickly learned that I had neither the equipment or the strength to properly drain and sparge the grain so my efficiency was very poor. However, everything else went fine.

If you have a brew kettle with a spigot you could drain off the wort into another kettle and sparge in the original kettle instead of moving the grain.

However, I did find that 16lbs of grain fits perfectly in a 7.5 gallon brew kettle and it will hold the mash temp perfectly for the entire hour.

If I were to repeat it I would reduce the base malt and use DME to compensate while doing a mash of the specialty grains and a few lbs of the base malt.

Well I just tried one and failed miserably. The problem is that you have to figure out the draining steps. Depending on the height of your stove and your grain bill you could end up having to lift 25lbs+ of wet grain at eye level for an extended period of time. I quickly learned that I had neither the equipment or the strength to properly drain and sparge the grain so my efficiency was very poor. However, everything else went fine.

If you have a brew kettle with a spigot you could drain off the wort into another kettle and sparge in the original kettle instead of moving the grain.

Sparging in a bucket works fine, too. Lift grain to bucket, pour sparge water in over it, sparge,place grain bag in another empty pot or bucket, add sparge to your brew kettle, once bag's drained pour drainage in too.

So I don't plan on doing a full 5 gallon batch so my guess is even with a big beer the grain weight shouldn't be an issue. Also, I didn't plan on doing a sparge per the info here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/06/20/brew-in-a-bag-biab-all-grain-brewing-method/

If anyone can give feedback on my converted recipe below, it's about 99% based off of the one here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/double-w-imperial-stout-74932/

I scaled it down in Beersmith to a 1/2 gallon batch (that's the final amount right? not what's left after the boil?) and made it a bit more bitter.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 0.50 gal      
Boil Size: 2.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.122 SG
Estimated Color: 71.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 104.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
2 lbs 2.5 oz  Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM)          Grain        83.33 %       
2.6 oz        Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM)          Grain        6.25 %        
1.7 oz        Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)                Grain        4.17 %        
0.9 oz        Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)                Grain        2.08 %        
0.9 oz        Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)                Grain        2.08 %        
0.9 oz        Chocolate Rye Malt (250.0 SRM)            Grain        2.08 %        
0.12 oz       Warrior [15.00 %]  (60 min)               Hops         74.1 IBU      
0.12 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (30 min)            Hops         20.9 IBU      
0.11 oz       Williamette [5.50 %]  (11 min)            Hops         9.6 IBU       
0 Pkgs        SafAle US-05 (Fermentis #US-05)           Yeast-Ale

TIA

Back