BIAB and protein rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokeater233

Reaction score
I have a false bottom for my pot that sits roughly 1.5" off the bottom of my pot. I'm doing a BIAB in the next week or so with a fairly undermodified grist. How easy is it for me to do a protein rest and then heat up to 154-ish with the grain bag still in the pot? Any risk of scorching/melting the bag or do you think the false bottom will solve the problem?

It really depends on your system. Some people report problems, but I regularly have nylon bags sitting directly on the bottom of my pot without ever seeing the slightest scorching. I suspect you'll be fine, but your best bet would be to do a test run with just water.

You should be fine. I use a strainer in the bottom with BIAB and it keeps it elevated about an inch from the bottom. If you're really concerned with it, put something else down there. The water volume will be the same.

I think you'll be fine... I always bring it up to temp nice and slow when the bag's in just to be safe but have never had a problem yet without a false bottom. :fro:

Thanks everyone... I'm doing a simple amber tomorrow and will be going with a BIAB single step infusion plus 170 degree mashout. I'm planning on doing my mash with a protein rest in a couple weeks. I think the 1.5" false bottom, slow increase in temp, and stirring every few mins will work well, but wanted to poll the group just in case. Thanks as always!

False bottoms actually tend to increase chances of scorching (wort, though - I don't know about the bag) because they interfere with convection.

emjay said:
False bottoms actually tend to increase chances of scorching (wort, though - I don't know about the bag) because they interfere with convection.

Well, keep in mind that my protein rest would be in the 120s and my mash in the mid 150s - both with the gas off. My mash out is at 170, also with the gas off (and in a separate pot I use for sparge and the boil). The only time I'm really worried about scorching is in the time between 120+ and 150+ as I move from rest to mash temps on the gas...

Oh, sorry. I got a bit mixed up somehow yesterday (late night). False bottoms are only really going to be an issue if used in the boil kettle.

I just do two water additions when I do a protein rest and BIAB method. Then I risc no chances of burning a hole in the bag. I did it once, not fun. :(

Oh, sorry. I got a bit mixed up somehow yesterday (late night). False bottoms are only really going to be an issue if used in the boil kettle.

An issue regarding what? I use a FB in a BK on both a single vessel BIAB system and a 3 keggle set up, never had any issues.

I know not everybody has obvious (or any) issues with it, but I have definitely heard of scorched wort problems as a result of the way a false bottom interfered with convection in the kettle.

Latest posts

Back