Bia Hoi

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hollow4

Reaction score
Anyone have a recipe for this type of beer. Its produced in Vietnam and is really light, not hoppy at all, but is really tasty after a hot day.

I lived of the stuff while i was traveling through the country.

As a note, this is the cheapest beer in the world, coming in at under $0.10 a glass.

Cheers
Hollow

I've never tried, nor even heard of this beer before. I'm trying to picture what a beer that costs less than water tastes like though.... :drunk:

shunoshi said:
I'm trying to picture what a beer that costs less than water tastes like though.... :drunk:

oldstyle705.jpg

:D

It would be far cheaper to buy a low-end commercial beer, than to try and clone something like this. If you just want a low cost homebrew, make a basic recipe with some malt extract and a small amount of hops.

It really is a good beer. Its not about being cost effective. Its about getting a beer that is not pasteurized with no preservatives that is extremely light and tastes great on ICE. Its one of those beers that you could drink all day long and not be hung over the next day.

I guess I will keep my eyes open for anything and put it here if i do come across a recipe.

I lived in Thailand for half a year, and drank quite a bit of local beer. While I certainly enjoyed it then, it was likely because it was the only choice in the village that I lived in, and well I was living in a tropical paradise.

I do recall that it had slight to none malt and hop flavour. I would imagine that the grain bill contained a large percentage of rice. This would help to explain the low cost, and low malt flavor.

If you haven't already, I would suggest grabbing a few bia singhas, which are readily available in North America to see whether you truly enjoy the style.

If you really want to make a beer of this style, search out a recipe that has the largest percentage of rice.

Check out Speed Brewing by Mary Izett. She has a recipe for Bia Hoi which looks really good. Haven't tried it but it's on my list.

I just made this using the Speed Brewing recipe and adding some Sorachi Ace hops for a citrus flavor. Turned out really good. Very light but full of flavor.

I've never been to Vietnam, but when seeing Anthony Bordain drinking the stuff it inspired me to make something in that vain. But with slightly better ingredients and a little more hops.

The stuff I ended up making was 1.042 OG (4.4% ABV). I think you'd probably want to go for 1.035 OG (3.5%) if you want the ABV to be more in line with what they are drinking there. You could also increase the rice and reduce the hops if you want it more traditional.

Below is the recipe I used and the beer was fantastic, but probably a little different than the real thing. Ingredient below are for a 12 gallon batcg, so you would want to scale down a bit and also use a little less malt for the lower OG.

I always do the quick lager method. This yeast also does well warmer than other lager yeasts. Pitch double the amount of yeast you would in an ale.

My schedule was as follows:

Ferment @ 55 for first 5 days (you can go higher if you don't have temp control. This is pretty forgiving for a lager yeast)
then let raise to 70 and sit for another 7-10 days until its clear (or done looking active). I kegged mine after 12 days in primary.

Keg or bottle and your done. Let crash a few days when kegged or in bottles. You can even bottle it in 2 liters. If bottling prime as normal and put in fridge after carbonated.

Bräh hơi
All Grain Recipe
Submitted By: brahery

Batch Size: 13.50 gal
Boil Size: 17.65 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Bitterness: 16.9 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Est OG: 1.042 (10.4° P)

Ingredients
Amount Name Type #
19.63 gal New York, NY Water 1
0.50 tsp Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min) Misc 2
1 lbs 8.00 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 3