BG14 Burner questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garhof

Reaction score
Hi, I've been reading here for a few months after a buddy talked me into brewing. I just built a brew stand and went with a bg14 burner and a regulator. I did a test run today and it seems like I'm not getting enough flame, and it took forever to boil 6 gallons. Like an hour and a half forever....

I purchased off of amazon because I had several gift cards to use up. Here is what I got:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PS0938/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JXYTG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Did I get the wrong regulator? The most I could get out of the flames was about 1/2 tall. Anymore than that and the individual heads would flame out and come back on and there was a wispy blue flame kicking up around the side of the pot. The burner is about 2.5 inches under the pot. was gona make it 3, but I drilled my holes at 3, then noticed that the top of the burner is higher than the mounting holes. Air vent was moved from almost closed (3/8 inch) to all the way open. Didnt seem to make much difference on the flame size.

Picture of the flames:
IMG_20130802_143836_400.jpg

The Stand:
IMG_20130802_143732_544.jpg

Any ideas? I was hoping to make up my first batch then sand that down and put a real coat of paint on it tomorrow!

Last edited by a moderator:
Something definitely ain't right. I run the same burners on 0-10 psi regs and could warp a pot at full power. Even the NG guys will get 4" flames rolling off that burner at a whole .4 psi (with a bored out orifice, of course).

From the looks of it, it's possible the excess flow valve inside the ACME nut may have triggered - that could happen if you have the regulator open before you open the tank valve...

Cheers!

When I had my propane stand with those burners I had a similar problem. It turned out I had to turn the regulator all the way down then turn the gas on from the tank and then turn the regulator up to lite it. If the regulator was turned up before I opened the tank valve I would get minimal gas out of the burners.

Thanks!

I've just got the propane tank , that regulator and then the burner. I'll try and turn it all the way down tomorrow, turn on the gas from the tank, then light the burner and increase the flow from there.

When I got mine th first time I tested it the same thing happens to me. Problem was I thought the flame was high enough but wasn't. In opened up the regulator on the burner more and had to adjust the air and worked like a charm. When I had mine working well its pretty loud like and airplane lol

Well, I turned everything down, and I do get a much larger flame, but it still doesnt look right. I just dont get much more than about a 3/8 blue flame. If I turn it up more I get the intermittent flame out and a whispy blue flame that kicks up around my pot with alot of yellow flame mixed in. and this is with moving the airflow from about closed to all the way open.

Do I need to do something else?

Thanks for any imput!

When you turn up the flame and it starts turning yellow etc. adjust the air intake and it should correct that problem and let you run the burner at a higher flame

fwiw, I have the air dampers set to 50% open on both of my burners, and have zero problem with flame height/color through a fairly wide range of power settings...

Cheers!

Back