Anvil Forge question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbycheetah

Reaction score
Hi.

Did I see in another post that Blichmann is the mfg of the Anvil Forge?

I've had my Anvil burner for what will be 4 years this coming Feb. About a year ago, I had to replace the original regulator hose. The original did not have the red knob at the end by the tank side, but I found that the newer models do come with that type of hose. I had to replace the original hose with one like that. I just discovered that the main burner section - the piece that the actual flames comes out of, seems to be "leaking"? because I can see blue flames around the spokes that connect to the frame. Kinda hard to explain, and a video would be better to show what I'm talking about. I've had it at the highest setting, and while I can still get 6.5-7 gallons to a boil, it is not very rigorous. The way it used to work, is that I always had to back it off b/c of being too rigorous. Out of curiosity, I followed the instructions about turning everything off; turn on the knob at the tank; turn on the burner to the ignite position; turn on the regulator, and light the burner. All of the holes on the burner have a strong blue flame. As i increase the regulator knob, the flames go higher, but start to get more orange flames, so i back it off to just strong blue flames, with only hints of orange. It seems to be ok and pretty strong. However, I noticed that around the arms of the burner - that connect to the frame, i saw blue flames as well. If the burner has been compromised, it seems like that could be enough to keep the output from being as strong as it should be. I will post a pic (or video) if possible later. I'm thinking if it is compromised, then I just have to buy another burner (thinking of the Blichmann Hellfire). Thanks for the time to read all this and any replies are appreciated. Cheers!

Yes, Anvil Brewing Equipment is a product line of Blichmann Engineering.

I saw the predecessor post to this a day or so ago in another thread. Was waiting for a video, or at least an annotated picture, as there isn't much to go on otherwise.

In any case, as you increase the gas flow you may need to also adjust the air damper at the end of the venturi bell to keep a proper air/fuel mix. Increasing orange means the mixture is going too rich and more air is needed. If you replaced the original hose & regulator set you may have obtained one with a higher flow rate that exceeds the design of the burner element...

Cheers!

It took well over an hour to get to a boil, and it was barely a boil at all. Was not a pleasant brew day. I'm going to the burner apart, knock it around a bit, upside down, then try using the air compressor to blow some air thru it. If that doesn't help, then to the dump it goes, and I'm buying a HellFire.

Back