Running burner off house propane

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Guitar

Reaction score
I‘ve got a quick connect line out to my bbq so I figured why not try & hook up my hellfire burner to it. Save my getting #20 propane tanks refilled.

Bought a “Hurricane Burner LPG Gas Valve“ from Williams brewing & hooked it up to my hellfire.

All I get are big yellow flames - not nice blue flame.

I tried filling out the orafice to make it bigger, but the flame stayed the same.

Anyone have success with this kind of set up?

Help.

Joe

Your hellfire likely has a 30psi regulator, which will work on a 20 lb tank (no regulator on the tank).
Your house propane has a regulator at the tank to go at 11" water column, which is like .4 psi.
There is another, extensive thread on this site from just a few weeks ago.

I have also tried this idea, and gave up.

You are certain the gas coming from your house connection is Propane and not natural gas.

Natural gas and propane require a different orifice size to give the proper ratio of gas to air mixture.

Unless you have a big propane tank in your yard that you get filled a few times a year, then your house gas is probably natural gas. At least in my part of the world it is.

You are certain the gas coming from your house connection is Propane and not natural gas.

Natural gas and propane require a different orifice size to give the proper ratio of gas to air mixture.

Unless you have a big propane tank in your yard that you get filled a few times a year, then your house gas is probably natural gas. At least in my part of the world it is.

I live in the country - nowhere near natural gas.

Since I have a 1000 gallon tank buried in my yard and have been getting it filled with propane for the last 14 years I’ve lived in this house; yes, I’m sure it is propane.

Your Hellfire is not one of the three burners with which the Williams Brewing valve was intended to be used.
And the flame quality that valve provided on the burners it is intended for was never great because of insufficient make-up air draw (one HBT member proved that with a small ram-air blower) and that Hellfire can produce half-again the output of the BG14...

Cheers!

Your Hellfire is not one of the three burners with which the Williams Brewing valve was intended to be used.
And the flame quality that valve provided on the burners it is intended for was never great because of insufficient make-up air draw (one HBT member proved that with a small ram-air blower) and that Hellfire can produce half-again the output of the BG14...

Cheers!

Their website states “This also fits Blichmann Top Tier and Floor Standing Burners, as well as the Bayou Classic BG14 burner. It does not fit the Bayou Classic BG10 burner.”

My understanding is that the hellfire is a Blichmann Floor Standing Burner.

Your understanding is incorrect. The Hellfire uses a completely different element from the BG14 found in the Blichmann Top Tier and Floor Burner as well as the Bayou Classic KAB4/KAB6 burners, and highly similar element used in the Williams burner.

I'm not saying one couldn't get it to work, just that the seller of that particular valve/orifice assembly doesn't support it...

Cheers!

BG14 element:

1651084152422.png

Hellfire element:

1651084122605.png

Your understanding is incorrect. The Hellfire uses a completely different element from the BG14 found in the Blichmann Top Tier and Floor Burner as well as the Bayou Classic KAB4/KAB6 burners, and highly similar element used in the Williams burner.

Thanks day_tripper.

Learned something new today!

All I get are big yellow flames - not nice blue flame.

I tried filling out the orafice to make it bigger, but the flame stayed the same.
Not withstanding all the above information, "big yellow flames" are from too much gas and not enough oxygen. Making the orifice bigger would make the issue worse, not better.

Back