Better than a stainless mesh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riddei

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how the gold mesh filter such that is used in coffee filter would react with the mash and wort? I have a nice roll of the stuff someone gave me. I also have some 24"x1/2" stainless steel springs I would wrap it around for rigidity. I figure if it is in hot coffee environment it could handle a hot mash environment.

The gold mesh coffee filters have pretty small holes, I think, compared to the stainless bazooka screen that I use in my mashtun.
http://www.breworganic.com/stainlesssteelbazookascreen.aspx But I've never compared them directly.

As for your question, I would think that if the gold filter doesn't react with the acidic and hot coffee, it would be fine in a grain mash.

Just looked at my "gold" coffee filter while rinsing it out. Might work great, might result in a stuck mash due to how fine it is. No worries with it reacting to the mash IMHO.

Gold is less reactive than stainless steel. Since the hole size of the coffee filter is really small you'll need a lot (or a way to keep it clear), but if you have enough it's worth a shot.

Latest posts

Back