Better Option Than Brew Hauler?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7brew

Reaction score
I've been using the "brew hauler" for about 3 years now. I have several of them. That's the nylon strap wrap-around that helps with carrying full carboys.

Well, the buckle on one broke (plastic snapped) with a FULL 5 gallon carboy a few weeks ago. Luckily, I didn't smash any toes or even get cut. I did get 5 gallons of brett beer spilled all over my garage and brewing area though. Super bummer.

Are there any better options you guys are using? I feel like it was reliable for several years, so I can't knock it too much, but you just need one carboy to the foot to get seriously injured. Looking for options to switch because a full carboy of slippery starsan glass isn't safe either.

6.5 gallon buckets.
I do age (sours) in carboys, but I'm leaning toward using kegs for those now.

Real bummer, yes. Consider yourself extremely lucky you didn't get hurt!

Any pictures to add to our broken carboy compendium? ;)

IMG_3375.jpg
IMG_3376.jpg

I got tired of carrying a carboy with a hauler. I switched to a Speidel fermenter, a nice affordable alternative to a carboy. Very easy to carry.

There are plastic crates that are big enough for a carboy. Or rid yourself of the danger of glass carboys with PET carboys or buckets. On the more costly end is Stainless Steel.

Personally, I would never move a filled glass carboy more than a few inches.......

I have never, used, or needed a brew hauler. I use Better Bottles mostly and buckets occasionally.

Perhaps put in a claim with the company that makes those Brew Haulers or the one that sold it to you. Probably cheap crappy Chinese made buckles, like most things coming from there. A lot hangs on a 3 penny injection molded piece of plastic.

My 40 pound dog snapped one of those bigger buckles on his collar, rendering the collar useless. Now he did take a run while he was on a 20' long steel cable...

Someone here reported that the stitchings had come apart and another had left the Brew Hauler around the carboy in the swamp cooler, and apparently the stitchings had rotted out over time. All with the same result: carboy in shards, a huge mess, loss of good beer, pissed off wife, and what not.

So I ended up buying a replacement buckle on Amazon as suggested from @triethylborane. So far, working great! I didn't even think of that. Much more sturdy.

Back