Better bottles....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
non...

Since that at least doubles the price, I don't do it... I have a bottling bucket and auto-siphon, so the porting makes no sense to me... It would be cheaper to get the additional hardware than a ported (with the fitting) BB... Plus, you'll have more flexibility with the bottling bucket and auto-siphon (if you don't already have them)...

Was there a specific reason you were looking at the ported BB?

I bought the non-ported 3g better bottle but am going to get a set of two of the ported ones, 6g and and a 5g with the racking valve, the stopper, the dry lock, the T adapter and the elbow 90. I have had standard buckets and carboys and racking canes but simply want the fun features of fully outfitted Better bottles. Cost is an issue with them being around $95 each with all the bells and whistles.

I got one with the valve, and after all the attachments it was around $75 if I remember correctly. Now I have also two non-ported, each costing about $25 each.

Don't get me wrong, the port makes racking super easy, but I don't think the 200% premium is worth it, given that autosiphons are pretty cheap.

Since everyone else seems to like the unported, let me vote for ported. The valves are easy to clean and use, and the fact that I can drain my carboys nearly dry from the shelf they sit on without stirring up the yeast is convenient. Others seem to have better luck with the autosiphon, but I always ended up moving it around too much and clouding my beer. The valves seem pricey, but god knows those aren't the worst $50 I've spent on this damned hobby.

I vote for ported too. Brewing life has never been easier since I decided to brew "Non siphon". Don't think I could go back........

NRS

Ported will be the standard for me, but it will be a slow roll to purchase them all.

Tim

My vote is for the ported with the racking adapter and valve.. It's much easier not having to move the BB and it gets 99% out with no yeast or trub.

My vote is for the ported with the racking adapter and valve.. It's much easier not having to move the BB and it gets 99% out with no yeast or trub.

I have all non ported atm--like 4 or 5.

How exactly does the ported work?

Back