Better Bottle vs. WaterCooler bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aust1227

Reaction score
I assume this has been discussed before, but I did not find much of it when I did a search. So, the question is, "What is the difference between a better bottle and your run of the mill five gallon water cooler bottle?"

THey look and feel the same. And if my water is good for years in the water cooler bottle then there can't bee to much oxygen coming through.

Thoughts?

This has been discussed many times. Here is a link to the beter-bottle website with a bunch of reasons not to use plastic water bottles.

In Short--it is NOT the same, and I would highly recommend against it.

In Long--I heart better bottles and highly recommend using them!!!
For only about $25 bucks, they last forever if taken care of and are the right tool.

http://www.better-bottle.com/faq.html

It basically comes down to oxygen permeability. The Better Bottles are not oxygen permeable, whereas the water bottles are (to a degree). There is a lot of bias towards better bottles (I have one), but I don't know of anyone that has done a "test" beer with a water bottle to find out just how detrimental the amount of oxygen that gets through the plastic is.

Hope that helps.

thousands of brewers are brewing in water bottles, if it says "PET" on the bottle it is exactly the same as the better bottles, exactly
polyethylene terephthalate copolymer is polyethylene terephthalate copolymer no matter how you look at it.

Bellybuster said:
thousands of brewers are brewing in water bottles, if it says "PET" on the bottle it is exactly the same as the better bottles, exactly
polyethylene terephthalate copolymer is polyethylene terephthalate copolymer no matter how you look at it.

Yes, but some are thicker than others. Wall thickness would have alot to do with oxygen permeability.

I tried a plastic drinking water bottle a few months ago. After 2 weeks in the secondary, I could taste no off flavors in my house brew. I haven't needed to use it since, as I have 4 other 5 gallon glass carboys, but I would not hesitate to use it again, especially if I knew it would only be for a couple of weeks.

I have too thought about this. Even if they did let in a small amount of oxygen, it could be adapted. Take for example soaking in water. Not only would it help regulate the temp. but also would reduce the available oxygen, and in turn, oxygen absorbed. :tank: The only problem I have is getting them! I finally found a place where I can get glass carboys for $15. Sure beats my HBS which sells them at $30!! :mad:

YooperBrew said:
Yes, but some are thicker than others. Wall thickness would have alot to do with oxygen permeability.

Also BB claim that their's have some coating or something, dunno how true it is but I use them anyway.

I'm thinking of getting a couple of the 10 - 15ish L waterbottles to use as primarys for small batches, pretty sure they oxygen permeability over 2 - 3 weeks it will be in there can't be much worse than the standard bucket fermenters.

I must say I really do like some of the options that come for the BB. Regardless of whether they are the same as water bottles

I brew in water bottles and have no problems that I know of, however, if I could pick up a better bottle for 25 bucks I would...if 25 bucks if a big part of the brewing budget use the water bottle.

Not to change the subject, but what's the longest you guys have let a brew sit in a BB? I have a trippel I am going to make and the recipe suggests letting it sit in the secondary for 9-12 months. I'm debating on whether to use my glass carboy or my newly acquired BB. Any thoughts?

When i'm going to let a brew sit in secondary for a long while my choice of equipment is the one that i don't like as much so i can keep my "good" equipment for a normal turnover to get more use out of it.

Back