better bottle crack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chia

Reaction score
over the past 6 months, three of my better bottles have developed a crack in the base that has allowed them to leak. thankfully i found this while i was cleaning them. has anyone else had bad better bottle luck like this?

I've got 6 of them of different ages, with 2 of them at least 4 years old. Never had anything that looks like a crack.

I soak them in oxyclean after every ferment, so that isn't a problem (for mine).

Mine sit outside 24/7 (when not fermenting), and the Florida sun (indirect) hasn't affected them.

It might be possible that they have batch problems. Sorry I couldn't help; just throwing some more data points your way. Gluck.

I've had one crack, and I think it was due to me swirling the keg to rouse yeast frequently. The bottle was a couple of years old and had been in use almost constantly, though I didn't always rouse the yeast in every beer. It was a slow crack that I found during cleaning. Now, I pick up the carboys to swirl, or I use a tennis ball under them, and I try not to put any undue pressure on the perimeter of the base.

Your BB has a crack in it's bottom? Are you sure it's what you think it is? :p Check & see if it's along mold lines. I've had plastic jugs leak at those points.

I've had one crack, and I think it was due to me swirling the keg to rouse yeast frequently. The bottle was a couple of years old and had been in use almost constantly, though I didn't always rouse the yeast in every beer. It was a slow crack that I found during cleaning. Now, I pick up the carboys to swirl, or I use a tennis ball under them, and I try not to put any undue pressure on the perimeter of the base.

I've done the tennis ball since I got them. Works great.

Your BB has a crack in it's bottom? Are you sure it's what you think it is? :p Check & see if it's along mold lines. I've had plastic jugs leak at those points.

they leaked out water when i was cleaning them. the tennis ball idea is great. i bet the crack on the lower perimeter came from swishing while cleaning. never thought of that, but like i said, they were fine during fermentation, but when i put hot water and oxyclean in and then swished a bunch, the water leaked out.

Back