Better Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My home brew has improved quite a bit since I returned to brewing this year. I've attributed the improvement to kegging. After giving it some thought though, there are a number of things I've changed. Now I'm wondering how all of these changes have effected the out come.

1. I add about 2 gallons of 180 degree water to the mash after conversion to get the temp of the mash up to about 168 degrees for mash out. I used to just re-circulate then begin fly sparging. I don't think the mash temp ever got high enough to stop the conversion process.
2. I now keg my beer and force carbonate.
3. When I rack I purge the receiving vessel with CO2. A side benefit if kegging.
4. I've started harvesting yeast from the primary. Although I haven't done this with every brew.
5. I now use the Auto Siphon to rack my beers. I used to fill the racking cane and tubing with water, put my thumb over the tube, put the racing cane in the beer, and release my thumb.
6. I leave the beer in the secondary longer. I now go two to three weeks including cold conditioning.
7. I cold condition in the secondary by placing it in the refrigerator for 1 to two weeks at about 38 degrees F.
8. I visit HBT on a regular basis and I've learned tons!

I think all of these changes have improved my brews but which on has had the greatest effect?

I suspect #1 & 8. The move from good beer to great beer is a series of small steps and attention to detail.

RichBrewer said:
2. I now keg my beer and force carbonate.
I always thought you guys kegged just for convenience...so you think kegging makes better beer than bottling, huh? :confused:

El Pistolero said:
I always thought you guys kegged just for convenience...so you think kegging makes better beer than bottling, huh? :confused:
I think it does but I have no way of proving it. I think commercial beers are better in the keg as well. Maybe it's all in my head though. :cross:

I don't think its in your head. A liquids taste can change based of the container its stored in. Also, if I am not mistaken they will be smoother. I beleive this is why Guiness make their Nitro + widget cans and call it Draught in a can to get that smoothness that comes from the keg.

I'm pretty sure I can taste the difference as well. I have had Killian's irish red in cans and in bottles and Im not a huge fan, but one time I went to Applebees and wanted a beer. Killians is the most extravagant thing they had. It was either that or bud, miller etc. So I ordered the killians. I didn't expect to like it all that much, but I was surprised that it was actually pretty good on tap.

I think that it does make a difference. I have been getting a heck of a time getting my beers to carbonate. I've had a couple that actually tasted better when I sampled them at bottling than after a month of bottle conditioning. It seems that my bottle conditioning never really completes and I get a little sweetness and greeness in my beer. I know that there are ways to fix that, but my point is that the simplest solution is often the best, and if you've already fermented your beer sucessfully once, why make the yeast do it again when you could take care of that yourself via forced carbonation (aside from the added equipment, space, etc)

Back