Best yeast for a dunkelweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiffcow

Reaction score
I recently purchased a dunkelweizen kit with a dry yeast (Danstar Munich German Wheat), but I started to wonder if I should have sprung for the liquid yeast in this case.. I want all the banana and clove aroma, and I want to make sure I get the right kind of yeast for that. Any advice on what kind of yeast I should use to get to get the maximum flavor out of this style?

I can only speak from my own experience here, but I've had good success with strong flavors of banana, bubblegum & clove with WLP300. If you're looking for a little more subtle flavor from the yeast, try Safale WB-06; cheap and great results.

Wyeast Weihenstephan Wiezen 3068

Ferment at 65 degrees for the first half of ferm and then bump it up to 75 for the second half.

Well, I ended up going with the WLP300. I'm thinking I might have fermented it a bit too cool, though (68-70* F). It's bottled now, and a taste test indicated that no banana flavor came through, and only the slightest hint of clove. I'm sure some would say its an excellent, "clean" example of the style, but it's definitely not what I was after. I'll try it again in a few weeks when its carbonated and aged, and post the results.

i did a dunkelweizen with the danstar munich, and it ended up taking over 5 weeks to get from 1.06~ down to 1.021, and just stopped. Ended up with an overpowering cidery taste, barely drinkable. Only think i can figure is the yeast. It fermented at around 68*, which shouldn't have pushed any crazy estery flavors at all.

bottom line, i won't use that yeast ever again.

Latest posts

Back