BEST/WORST thing anyone has ever said about your own HB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the wife of a (homebrewing!) friend of mine simultaneously scored in both categories when she tasted my Belgian wit:

"I hate witbier, but this tastes really really good!"

Worst: I think it was my 2nd or 3rd batch, a Centennial Blonde, and my sister says, "Wow, you made Corona!" She wasn't wrong, the oxidation was so bad, it had to have a lime wedge to get past the gullet.

Best: My neighbors and friends asking for more of my Red Rye IPA, even though one of them works at a really good local craft brewery and we get free beer from her. My homebrew is better than free professional beer? That is sold at real stores? Well damn.

Both were at some beer tests my club was pouring at.
Best: “where can I buy this at?!”
Worst: guy takes a sip of a lemon wheat and literally spits it on the ground and says “ oh god that is terrible! That was the worst beer I’ve ever tasted!” Glad I respect the fact that everyone has different tastes and likes different styles.

"If you made better beer your wife would drink it." Note: My wife doesn't drink beer :)

Best: "That is good! This is the way beer used to taste like when I was younger! How'd you make this? " <---- My Dad after sampling some of my Lutra Kveik Pseudo Lager.

Worst: "OMG! WTF IS THIS SH*@ ??? 🤢🤮" <------ Myself after sampling a homebrew that went south on the express train to Nasty Town before I even had a chance to bottle it.

Long ago when I was still doing extract brews an extraordinary set of circumstances led to a Master BJCP judge and his spouse ending up in my home sampling the half dozen brews on tap. I had never met either before, they were friends of a friend and were there to pick up said friend's house keys, but they were forward characters and were entertaining in that regard, and we did have common interests in super-insulated homes.

By the time they left The Judge had proclaimed five of my brews as some of the best all grain beers he'd ever enjoyed, though he did ding the sixth as being a bit sweet for an ESB.

No way was I going to tell him those were all extract beers, including the imperial chocolate stout with which he and his wife kept "ending" the evening numerous times...

Cheers! :D

Worst: From the wife: "I like this one better."

I had gotten a Mr Beer kit from a guy at work (I wanted the plastic bottles for the beach). It had an expiration date 4 years earlier. I was in a good mood so, on kind of a self dare, I boiled up some water, threw in the HME from the kit, a pound of dextrose, and pitched some harvested s-23. Put it in a 2.5g keg a week later. It had fusel, was going to dump, didn't get round to it for a month. she tried that (the fusel cleaned up actually) and liked it. Like it better than the nicely hoppy ale I had in the keezer next to it, the nice ale that I had just fallen in love with....

On a side note, it wasn't hideous, just rather boring. I will give them credit, 5+ years old and no mold in the can. And no, I didn't try the included yeast.
No snark at the Mr Beer, please... I still use my 6-gal Mr Beer fermenter 'cause it's easier to set up and deal with than my HDPE conical...

Of course, I don't use their kits. I don't use ANYBODY's kits...

Agreed, everyone has to start somewhere, and my sons kicked off my brewing with a Mister Beer kit gift.
It didn't take long before I realized it made economic sense to source the ingredients elsewhere, but those fermenters were hella handy as cheap infrastructure...

ab_aug_18_2003.jpg

Cheers! ("And the rest is history" :D)

Back