BEST/WORST thing anyone has ever said about your own HB?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How often do you tell someone they should open a restaurant when you've liked the meal they cooked?

I think the difference is in perspective and proportion. Nearly everyone cooks and so it is not uncommon to have a great meal some one prepared at their home. I actually prefer home cooked meals and find they are often superior to restaurants. Not very many people brew and so it is less common to have a homebrew, let alone a good one. I believe people are more apt to suggest a brewer open a brewery then they are to suggest a cook open a restaurant simply from the stand point of novelty. Non-brewers are often simply amazed anybody can actually make a tasty brew at home.

I get told the same thing often and don't really pay much attention to it. I hear it as simply "I would buy this beer". I already know most of what I make is on par with the local pros so it is no big deal. But when a pro, fellow brewer or judge gives me praise it carries a little more weight then the BMC friend down the street.

I do like ANY compliment on the beer I make, in whatever form it comes.

Please don't run off and open a brewery just because people tell you your beer is good enough to sell.

Been there, done that!

Best: "You guys have the best microbrews here." (About our club beers at a beer fest.)

Worst: "No." (After asking "Do you want some more?")

Please don't run off and open a brewery just because people tell you your beer is good enough to sell.

Been there, done that!

Yeah, pro brewing seems like it would take the fun part of brewing and destroy it. I'll stick to having fun with the beer.

Been there, done that!

Thank goodness I realized that too before I went all in!! Really though I love getting compliments from the "common" beer drinker. They are the ones who would buy your beer at a pub and your base of support. Does a musician make music to please the critics or to please the fans?

Worst was "Hmph" no feedback whatsoever, I would have rather heard them ask me if I fermented this in the bowels of a dead pig than nothing. If you don't like it, at least tell me why!!

Best- "Damn this is good, it is like an angel peed in a cup and handed to me"

I hang out with sick people.......

Best and worst came on the same batch of belgium wit.

Best: "That is the best beer I have ever tasted in my life".....same guy seeks out wit beers where ever he travels and always tells me..."tried a new one last week and after the first sip I knew it was not even close to yours". This guy knows how to get homebrew out of me.

Worst:

My brother: hey, what do you have on tap?
Me: Its a belgium wit.
My Brother: What is that?
Me: Like Hoegarden type of brew.
My brother: Umpf.....I really don't like Hoegarden (as he prceeds to pour a full pint, not a sample, a full pint off of my keg-r-ator).
Me: well, your not going to like that then, just pour a sample......ok, or a full pint.
MY BROTHER: (With a sour looking face) Um, yeah, that would be good for a marinade or something.
Me: yes, thanks for pouring a full pint you moron.

He gets none of my homebrew anymore. I work to hard to waste it on him.

The best: "Sorry I doubted you." The girl after my first and second brews.
The worst: "This would be awesome with some butter flavor." My Budweiser devotee father offering advice on improving my blonde ale.

My friend Adam trying to be clever, "If I received this beer in a bar, I would not ask if it was made in a basement." I suppose that's the best. No bad ones yet, I'm only on my fifth batch...

Jim (slurring): "Wow, your homebrew is awesome... and strong!"
Jim's wife: "Honey, only one of your eyes are open."

Best:

My Bavarian uncle, upon tasting my rendition of EdWort's Weisse: "This tastes like a weisse."

Worst (a tie):

"Which one is this?" BMC drinker asking whether he had an EdWort's Weisse or a Pale Ale.

Upon pouring a bottle of BM's Centennial Blonde for a Natty-Lite-drinker neighbor. "Wow, that sure has alot of bubbles."

Best (from sis in law tasting lighthaus wheat): "This is like sex in a glass!"

Worst (from bro in law tasting a belgian sour): "This smells like feet and tastes like ass!"

Best: "It's like an angel peed on my tongue"
I LOL'd. Great comment!
About a year later, I over heard him talking to another coworker about beer and he stated that rolling rock tasted like piss.

And it does.

Not much opportunity for comment so far since I only have a couple of batches under my belt, but from my wife (after a sip on my Amber Ale):

"Mmmm. Whoa!"

And my American Wheat:

"That's a nice beer."

I'll be very interested to have my folks try it since they happily drink the worst swill imaginable and tend not to like the same beers I like.

I have heard nothing but positives for my brews, even extremely amazed comments from my latest IPA. This is mostly because I havent even dared to give anything out that I didn't approve of myself. My first batch was purely awful. Noone but myself experienced that wreck. Everything after the first batch has been consistently good.:rockin:

Worst: My wife tasting my first batch "This tastes like ass!!" (it was not good...)
Best: My award winning homebrew buddy tasting my 2nd batch "This is AWESOME!!"

Only 5 brews under my belt so I am sure there are plenty more to come in both categories.

One of the "worst comments" I heard was "don't quit your day job." [This was from a college student that was in my chemistry class that I teach. He didn't believe beer could be made at home.]

One of the "best comments" I heard was "you should consider doing this full time." This was from the head of our science department after he sampled a brew of mine at a depeartment picnic.

Of my hop bursted IPA, 'that smells like a bouquet of flowers'
Of my bottled ESB. 'I dumped it because it had stuff floating in it'
I explained how to pour it but wasn't there to show him.

Imperial Smoked Porter: "AH! This tastes like a meaty campfire! Gross!"
It won a Bronze in a large comp.

Monolith RIS: During a vertical group tasting of Dark Lord and Bourbon County... referring to Monolith - "What beer is this? Can I get another pour?" "Dude's homebrew" "No really, what is it?" "My homebrew" "No ****ing way." I explained further, bottle was killed before the vertical bottles were.
Too good to enter until I brew more.

Worst: From the wife: "I like this one better."

I had gotten a Mr Beer kit from a guy at work (I wanted the plastic bottles for the beach). It had an expiration date 4 years earlier. I was in a good mood so, on kind of a self dare, I boiled up some water, threw in the HME from the kit, a pound of dextrose, and pitched some harvested s-23. Put it in a 2.5g keg a week later. It had fusel, was going to dump, didn't get round to it for a month. she tried that (the fusel cleaned up actually) and liked it. Like it better than the nicely hoppy ale I had in the keezer next to it, the nice ale that I had just fallen in love with....

On a side note, it wasn't hideous, just rather boring. I will give them credit, 5+ years old and no mold in the can. And no, I didn't try the included yeast.

The neighbor was helping me stack some firewood and we drank a good deal of low ABV kettle sour during the process. He said that he was going to hang out with some other friends that night that would really like it, and he wanted to know if he could take a growler for them to try. Of course I said yes.

Later that evening he stops by to fill up, fills up one growler, then pulls out another and says, "Do you mind if I take 2? This is really good!"

He's since bought some kegging equipment and brews with me now.

Worst- My own comment ... “I name this beer Yeti’s Taint”

Best is pretty much the same as everyone else’s.

My son brought a drinking buddy and his new girlfriend over once. Knowing they were both big fans of Killians, and Smithwick Red, he drew them both pints of a Red Ale i had on tap. Both took big pulls off their glasses , and yummy noises ensued. The young fellow asked, "What brand is this." My son proudly replied "Dad's brand" explaining that i had brewed it. Both smiled politely, and nodded approvingly, and neither one ever touched their glass again!!!! I asked my son some time later if the beer had put them off - He said, "No, they thought it tasted great. But they were afraid home made beer might be poison or dangerous somehow!" He said they were that way about nearly anything homemade - canned goods, preserves, pickles, cheese, bacon, you name it! He said they had read somewhere that such food and items would give you food poisoning

My brother to my NEIPA " its good man, coo, want another, naw im good lmao!!!!!

My brother to by chocolate stout "i think im on my 9th one, this is scary smooth"

My brother to my NEIPA " its good man, coo, want another, naw im good lmao!!!!!

My brother to by chocolate stout "i think im on my 9th one, this is scary smooth"
Is your brother drinking all your homebrew? Hahaha

Worst, my parents, both macro lager drinkers foe years, "this doesn't taste like beer", duh that's the whole point, if any of my brews ever taste like their favourite beer, I'm out hahaha

Best, my buddies came for a bbq, I pulled some samples from a couple fermenters, one was an Imperial stout made with kveik, didn't told them what was that, they just saw it was dark, flat and at room temp, all enjoyed it but one of my mates only drinks smooth or sweet thinks, he's not into hoppy beers or bold flavours in general, he said he loved it and asked for more, so considering the beer was young, at room temp, flat and he's really picky with everything, best compliment ever hahahaha

Back